Where do you folks get your dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsweet

Reaction score
I keep seeing people refer to a dry yeast packet as costing fitty cents, but everywhere I see to buy US-05 it's more like $3.50 or more. Where are people buying it that it's so cheap?

They are probably not referring to US05. Nottingham is usually much cheaper...like $1.25 to $1.75. For Apfelwein, the montrachet red wine yeast is like 75 cents.

For me, I think it's $3.50 for S04 and $3.75 for US05.

AHS is charging $3.99 for Nottingham. I'm not sure what it is at either of the LHBS..

I've wondered if some stores are using the yeast as a "loss leader". One local shop sells US-05,04 for mid $2 range and has Nottingham higher. Another sells Notty for $1.90 and is over $4 for US-05. Same thing goes on with PBW for cleaning vs. Straight A cleaner with the flip flopped pricing. I've got a 3 year old pack of Muntons I could sell for $.50 but otherwise haven't seen prices near that except for the above mentioned wine yeast.

Cheapest yeast I ever got was that one of the LHBS was selling expired smack packs of Wyeast.... for $0.00. Yup, free for the taking. I wish I'd grabbed a couple extras, the expired packs are fine if you make a starter I think.

Back