Top Austin homebrew kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eppo

Reaction score
I didn't notice a way to search on the Austin homebrew site. But I was wondering what kit is sold most often and which one has the most comments(positive?). This might give me some ideas for my next few batches.

Be forewarned, a lot of these comments go something like this...

"The beer didn't turn out like I hoped. I wouldn't recommend it. I took the hefeweizen and substituted crystal 60 for part of the wheat and then secondaried in oak and vanilla. It had this funny taste. I don't know why."

Moral of the story is...follow the directions to a t, and any kit will turn out fine.

I have brewed the bavarian hefeweizen, belgian wit (three times), and AHS holiday ale. All turned out fine.

Eric

"The beer didn't turn out like I hoped. I wouldn't recommend it. I took the hefeweizen and substituted crystal 60 for part of the wheat and then secondaried in oak and vanilla. It had this funny taste. I don't know why."

Eric

LOL. There's a guy who raves about the Low Carb Ale, then confesses he didn't even use the enzyme provided because he doesn't care about the low carb aspect.

But what really drives me crazy:
"I just racked this beer to secondary, and the hydrometer sample tasted great!!"

when i did my first PM kit from AHS i didnt follow directions to a T, and the beer turned out ok, but not great. the ones i followed the directions exactly turned out great.
the last one i did, was the American Red Ale. turned out AMAZING!

Moral of the story is...follow the directions to a t, and any kit will turn out fine.

I have brewed the bavarian hefeweizen, belgian wit (three times), and AHS holiday ale. All turned out fine.

Eric

I try my best to remove false reviews like that.

Forrest

I've never had a problem with any of Austin Homebrew's kits. The AHS America Wheat got very good reviews at a party I had.

The trouble starts when I play mad scientist and concoct my own recipes...

I've done perhaps 25 kits and only a couple did I not like. Read the reviews and read between the lines. 95% are GREAT. I review each one honestly good or bad. I wish they were ranked not by sales though but I guess that is a rating in itself. Still, there could be an amazing kit that will never be tried because it is down in the ranks.

I'm doing their 6 malt amber right now.

The Double Chocolate Stout kit is GREAT. My buddy and I made it a month and a half ago and just started tasting some of the bottles and they are really solid. I would suggest not getting the alcohol boost, though. It will contribute an ethanol flavor to the beer and make it a little watery as far as mouth-feel goes.

Latest posts

Back