Hooray for Peaches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
SWMBO loves me!

We went out to a local u-pick place and came home w/ 40 lbs of perfectly ripe peaches. for $30!!! 25 lbs went straight into a fermenter for 5 gallons of peachy goodness, the rest went to the freezer for a cold and rainy day. Don't have a question, just wanted to brag.

Interesting. Please tell me more.

How did you process the peaches before putting them in the fermentor? Peel? Chop? Press?

Which yeast? Did you add anything else, or just peaches and yeast?

Thanks

I just quartered, depitted, and dropped them into a fermentation bag. They were so soft that I just squished them w/ my hands and they turned into a pulp. I'll pull the bag out in about 5 days and move it to a secondary. Usually I don't post a recipe until I know if it's going to be good or not, BUT since you asked....

Peach Wine
25 lbs fresh ripe peaches
5 campden tablets
5 tsp acid blend
5tsp nutrient
1 tsp tannin
pectic enzyme (I use liquid, think it was about 1/4 tsp for 5 gallons)
sugar to 1.090 (I used about 8 lbs)
water to 5 gallons
champagne yeast

Movin' to the country, gonna ferment a lotta peaches
Movin' to the country, gonna ferment me a lotta peaches

Do you sweeten your wine when done? If so take 1/3rd of the fruit used and simmer them in a pot with just a tad of water and condense the fruit juices and let that cool down and then add that juice with maybe a little sugar to a stabilized wine. Really kicks up the flavor which can get lost during a fermentation no matter how cool you ferment it. I do this with a lot of fruit wines and win many gold medals with this method.

Yes, I do sometimes sweeten my wine, but I've always just used a simple sugar. I'll have to give this a shot, it sounds great.

So for my peach recipe, I would simmer 8 lbs of peaches and dump that in? Would I quarter them, or mash them then strain out the pulp? Do I need to do anything to keep this from getting cloudy?

Sounds like a pectin party to me. Simmering/boiling peaches might get you peach jelly wine.

Any pictures? Did this come out well?

Back