Adding Gelatin to Kegged beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have what is supposed to be a very clear Amber Ale in my keg. I pulled a glass and it is just insanely cloudy and thick. I used WLP002 English so I know its supposed to be clear. This was my first attempt at not using a secondary, just leaving the brew in the primary for 3-4 weeks and then straight to keg. I think this is the cause, and needless to say it was a short lived attempt as I wont do it again.

Anyway, is there anything I can do to attempt to clear this brew up? Gelatin?

How long has it been in the kegerator and was it the first pint that was dispensed? The first couple of pints might be cloudy but they should clear up after that.

How long has it been in the kegerator and was it the first pint that was dispensed? The first couple of pints might be cloudy but they should clear up after that.

also, if you move the keg around a bit, it'll stir up the yeast and you'll end up with yeasty beer.

Well its been in the keg since friday. And there have been a total of I would say 4 glasses drawn. I just drew a tiny bit an hour or so ago and it was really hazy. I just checked it out again and its clear, im thinking this is my first chill hazed beer :(

There is nothing I can do right?

I would not make an opinion until it has been in the kegerator for at least a week. The trub will compact and settle out. I wouldn't use gelatin at this time.

Is your dip tube cut or bent to raise it slightly from the bottom of the keg?

I would not make an opinion until it has been in the kegerator for at least a week. The trub will compact and settle out. I wouldn't use gelatin at this time.

Is your dip tube cut or bent to raise it slightly from the bottom of the keg?

I just looked at it and it is practically scraping the bottom :mad:

I just looked at it and it is practically scraping the bottom :mad:

Yup theres your problem right there....haha.....sorry not that funny;)

I also had that problem, so I just bent the dip tube upward for the next batch. It still took about 4 pints worth before it cleared, but it was a drastic improvement.

I know I'm not helping here at all, but I'm curious how do you look at a dip tube in a keg full of beer?

Yeah that prob. doesnt make sense, I have two kegs that are the exact same in and out, and I assume that if the empty one has a really low dip tube then the other would as well.

Yup theres your problem right there....haha.....sorry not that funny;)

I also had that problem, so I just bent the dip tube upward for the next batch. It still took about 4 pints worth before it cleared, but it was a drastic improvement.

BTW, when you say upward....how far up? because I dont want 4 or 5 beers on the bottom that I can't get to ya know?

My diptube sits about 1/2-3/4" from the bottom of the keg. Since the bottom is concve I really dont loose that much beer......MAYBE half a pint. I usually let it sit in the keg 10 days min. before tapping it though. I've got an oktoberfest kegged and its about half gone and ever glass is clearer than the last. Hope it help.

I have been experiencing the same problem with an american pale ale. The only difference is that I'm 3/4 of the way through the keg and it's still cloudy. This is half of a 10 gal. batch and the other half was nice and clear. So many variables...

I didn't cut my dip tube for my ESB that went into my keg and I also did not use a secondary and it looks pretty darn clear. Although I did cold crash it in the primary for a few days before moving it to the keg which I think helped. The first half pint pulled out some sediment and from that point on I have been good.

Could it just be sediment being pushed out that is making the beer cloudy? I naturally carbonated and this first half pint is real cloudy and gets tossed. The next couple will still be a little cloudy and get drunk of course. After that no more sediment comes out and the beers are clear. Any time you jiggle the keg you'll get more sediment.

Man, you kegged in on Friday and posted about it on Monday. Clearing take time, even with the highly flocculant British yeasts. Give it another 2-3 weeks (which it probably can use, anyhow), pour a dirty pint or so after that, and then start enjoying the clear beer. It will clear in time.

If you just have to have it clear now, though, you can use gelatin in the keg.

Keep in mind that what you pull off the bottom of the keg is the least clear beer in there.

TL

Back