Game of Thrones Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Dothraki sea?

Ya I got a gallon of whole lacto free milk added a cup and half sugar since it would be mares milk which is sweeter racked it off the curd after a few days. Not sure what to spice it with I used ec1118 yeast and its incredibly alchol hot right now lol. Onky been going a week.

So GOT season 4 starts April 6th. I would still like to do an exchange if anyone is interested. I was thinking 12 oz bottles, and although I have been dipping into the supply (yea, it is that good!) I think I can manage six exchanges. It will be fun to trade and sample other's interpretations of this.

My meads I will be brewing in a month or so:
Raspberry Dragon Mead (Targaryen)
Martell Mojito Mead
Stag's Pear Mead (Baratheon)
Tyrell Citrus Mead
Stark Sweet Mead
Lannister Watermelon Mead
Greyjoy Blueberry Mead
(And my family's Wagoner Strawberry Mead.)

Labels coming soon!

Night's Watch Blackberry Mead.jpg

Martell Mojito Mead.jpg

Arryn Pineapple Mead.jpg

Lannister Watermelon Mead.jpg

Stag's Pear Mead.jpg

Those are some great labels. I should probably consider doing some Game of Thrones meads myself as they film it quite close to me. I was hoping they would use my land (for the cash :) ) but alas not to be...

My meads I will be brewing in a month or so:
Raspberry Dragon Mead (Targaryen)
Martell Mojito Mead
Stag's Pear Mead (Baratheon)
Tyrell Citrus Mead
Stark Sweet Mead
Lannister Watermelon Mead
Greyjoy Blueberry Mead
(And my family's Wagoner Strawberry Mead.)

Labels coming soon!

Recipe on the watermelon mead?

Oh, OK.
I've heard its almost impossible to get watermelon flavor to show. Hoped you had some tips.

Sub water with watermelon juice entirely, and even then, you'll probably need some back-sweetening with boiled off watermelon juice (So it has a higher concentration). And it might taste like butt too.

I have never made or drank mead but wish I could try some before making. Might try a gallon of something you guys labeled

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bottled 7 gallons of Mother of Dragons mead. Blood red and spicy. Brewed the end of June beginning of July. Used dragon fruit, horn melon, raspberries, jalapeños, oak chips, and red pepper flakes. Turned out sweet, spicy, and full bodied.

Bottled 7 gallons of Mother of Dragons mead. Blood red and spicy. Brewed the end of June beginning of July. Used dragon fruit, horn melon, raspberries, jalapeños, oak chips, and red pepper flakes. Turned out sweet, spicy, and full bodied.

Post pics! :rockin:

Nice! Thats going to age so beautifully.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

So with the season opener only a few days away, I thought there would be more activity on this thread. .. .

I drank all mine =[. Well my co-workers and I. I'll have to come up with a brew for this season. I think I'll do braggot style barley-wine.

-Recipe Formulated-
Name: Dragon Whip Barleywine-Braggot > When you whip the dragon, you get the flames (a sneaky high ABV) <
1 Gallon batch

Fermentables
2 LBs Honey (snowberry)
2 Lbs Pilsner
1 LB Crystal 60

Hops
.5 oz Galaxy 75 Minutes
.5oz Galaxy 7 Minutes

Yeast - WYeast 4347 Eu De Vie
Estimated SG per Brewtoad - 1.149
Estimated FG per Brewtoad - 1.012
18% ABV

Process notes: I'll need to not add the full load of honey straight away to prevent a stuck ferment. I'll mash the grains and boil the hops in that wort, skipping the honey to not cook off aromas. I'll add 1 lb of honey to the original must which calculators estimate the starting gravity being 1.107 (much more manageable for yeast).

SNA + Step Feeding:
First 2/3 of nutrients will be loaded up front. I'll aerate daily to to the 1/3 sugar break. Next when the gravity hits ~1.040 I'll add the last pound of honey as well as the last dose of nutrients and ferment it out.

Dragon's Blood Cocktail

Here is what I made for the season opener. You can just drink the mead, but to make the cocktail, you must first make Sorrel BOMM!

Sorrel BOMM Recipe - 1 gallon

3 quarts Ozarka Spring water
4.5 oz dried sorrel sepals
2" of dried china ginger
10 cloves
2 tsp allspice berries
1 stick cinnamon
1 vanilla bean
orange peel from one small orange
lemon peel from one lemon
2 tsp mace

Preparation

-Add sorrel, spices, and water to a pot and rapidly bring to the boil.
-Allow the mixture to boil for 10 minutes.
-Take the mixture off the heat. Once it has cooled, place in the fridge for 24 hours.
-After 24 hours, take the mixture out of the fridge and strain.

Day 1
-Add 3 lbs of honey (1 quart). SG ~1.12.
-Add 1/2 tsp K2CO3.
-Add 1/4 tsp DAP and 1/2 tsp of Fermaid K.
-Add DAP & Fermaid K again at 1.09 & 1.05.
Add a starter (or smack pack) of Wyeast 1388 yeast.
No water in airlock for 7 days.

Day 3
Gravity 1.092

Day 4
Gravity 1.07

Day 6
Gravity 1.042

Day 9
Gravity 1.032

Day 14-22
Gravity was stable at 1.022.
13% ABV and bottled.

Day 28

Cleared in the bottle. This stuff is really good, but very tart. Luckily, the sweetness balances out the tart. At least for one glass. I want to serve this in quantity, so I developed a cocktail!

Dragon's Blood Cocktail

Add a bit of sprite to a glass and muddle a few mint leaves gently. Then add the following:
3 oz Sorrel Mead
1 oz Sprite
Stir gently and garnish with mint.

Be careful. I don't know why, but this libation hits you really hard and fast!

I can't wait for GOT tomorrow, I also can't wait to try the Dornish Pomegranate Mead I made for the premier almost a year ago now.

Waiting to be opened tonight for Season 4, a bottle of my Game of Thrones mead created a year ago to the day. I trust it has aged well and retains the fiery sweetness inspired by Daenerys Targaryen. To her, may I quote: "My sword is yours. My life is yours. My heart is yours."

got season 4.jpg

Yes! A toast to a good start to a new season. Soooo exciting! Oh and Bran is in next episode. I am really excited about him. I did not make a mead for this but I mixed an 18 month old Ginger mead 1 part with 1 part JAOM and two shots of Bacardi Raspberry rum. Made the whole episode that much better.

Hi, I'm a reporter on a magazine in the UK. I'm writing a story about how mead is becoming more popular in the UK, thanks in part to Game of Thrones. I wondered if there were any UK contributors to this forum who were both mead and Game of Thrones fans and would be happy to have a quick chat with me?

If so you can contact me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Rick

I'm thinking about maybe a "Dragon Glass" mead. Wildflower honey, blackberries, mint, cayenne. Probably just do a gallon batch. I want in to be a really dark, black color. Maybe some espresso?

Well, with the next season upon us, does anyone else have any GoT Mead from previous years to open next month?

So after making my mead ready to drink for the 2014 got season...I got pregnant about a month after it started - girl problems lol. And of course now I'm busy nursing and I made the batch 20% alcohol..so I haven't tried it yet in fear of not being able to sober up in time lol. Last year when I tried it had pretty good flavour was just super boozy.

My mead was called Betrayal: A stark raving cherry mead

Could def taste the tart cherry in there. Will crack a small bottle in the next week or two and try a sip.

We don't have hbo right now...not sure how we re gonna watch this next season :(

A tyrion inspired me one for sure, something on the line of whoresbane? Maybe something less vulgar, although that would lose the tyrion characteristics :p

Back