Albany NY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmendo2005

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right spot or anything but couldn't find anything. Really against buying things online, was wondering if anyone near Albany NY knew a brewing store for supplies nearby?

Thats where I go for everything as well, really good place. Talk to russ when you go in he's a younger guy and his father owns the place.

Hennessy is great and pretty local since you're in Albany...
For reference... there is also
Hammersmith near Latham Circle on Rt9 (more expensive but along my drive home)
Saratoga Zymurgy up off Exit 15 attached to EBW beverages. (Great Prices, small shop)

I'm in Toga so I utilize SaraZ frequently. And if you are interested the Saratoga Thouroughbrews is a local homebrew club here that meets on the first Thursday in Saratoga at the brewery (in site of EBW+SaraZ)
http://www.thoroughbrews.org/

I much prefer Homebrew Emporium in East Greenbush. beerbrew.com

I think the sales staff is more knowledgable, and I think they have higher quality (fresher) ingredients. Last I went to Hennessy, they were breaking down hops from lbs to oz and storing them in ziplock bags in the fridge. I'd rather buy original mylar wrapped oz packages from Homebrew Emporium for the same price. Also, much greater selection of variety at HBE.

I usually go to Hammersmith though they do not know much about brewing beer. They seem to be more of wine place. They are not bad if you know what you want and will have most things, just do not expect help if you have questions.

Hammersmith is good but as others have said, not a ton known about brewing. A couple of their kits I have gotten were just not good, their Killians clone was downright bad. Homebrew emporium is awesome

Hammersmith is good but as others have said, not a ton known about brewing. A couple of their kits I have gotten were just not good, their Killians clone was downright bad. Homebrew emporium is awesome

The first beer I made was a Scotch Ale kit from there and it was not that good. I have since only got ingrediants from them and have not used one of their kits. I have not been to place in East Greenbush as it is no where near me. I will have to take a drive out there on the weekend.

The Albany Institute of History & Art will be hosting its second annual Hudson Valley Hops on Saturday, April 20, 2013 from 4-7pm.

It will be a celebration of the history of brewing in Albany and today’s craft beer industry in and around the Hudson Valley. Guests can sample the finest local craft beers, engage with experts in the field, enjoy an assortment of food and tour the museum galleries.

Tickets are $25, and the first 100 people to RSVP and prepay will receive a commemorative Hudson Valley Hops tasting glass.

Guests must be 21 and over, IDs will be checked at the door.

Breweries Attending:
Adirondack Brewery, Brewery Ommegang, Brown’s Brewing Co., Chatham Brewing, LLC, C.H. Evans Brewing, Co., Crossroads Brewery, Keegan Ales

Speaker Schedule:
• 4:30- Craig Gravina, will discuss his research of Albany Ale and the nearly 400 years of Albany’s brewing history. Additionally, he will be talking about a historic beer recipe book and will be interpreting an ale recipe for modern brewing.
• 5:15- Kathy Quinn, will speak on the Quinn and Nolan Brewery and her exploration of the family business and her family history. She will also discuss how certain members of her family left Albany and eventually settled in the west, lured by the prospect of a south-western silver mine.
• 6:00- Dietrich Gehring, who is associated with the Indian ladder farm and has been raising heirloom hops plants over the last two years, will discuss Heritage Hops.
• 6:20- The Homebrew Emporium will present on home brewing.
• 6:40- Ryan Piche will address the new Farm Brewery legislation.

Information about attending Hudson Valley Hops can be obtained by calling Eileen Hunter at (518) 463-4478 ext. 408, or e-mailing [email protected]. Information is also available on the museum’s website: http://www.albanyinstitute.org/fundraiser-details/product/Hudson_Valley_Hops_2013.html

Hennessey Homebrew emporium in Albany is terrible. They have this crabby guy in shorts who works there who is not very helpful at all. Don't ever get your grain crushed by them...its almost like they don't crush it to give you bad efficiency and sell you more grain. Most of the liquid yeasts are way past due too. These guys are the reason that online stores are thriving.

Back