What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled some beers (and hard cider) from the kegs using the "Last Straw". Cleaned and sanitized the one kicked keg from bottling. Then I filled it back up with my SMaSH brew (Maris Otter and Opal hops). Cleaned the fermenter too. Now it's 3am and I have to get up soon for work. Boo! [emoji16]

Drilled 2 holes in the side of the fridge for CO2 lines(high pressure, serving pressure), put together gas lines and liquid lines... need to mount the CO2 distribution block and the drip tray after I pickup some self tapping screws. And fill the CO2 cylinder! Then I am ready to start kegging!

Kegged my Smash House IPA (2 row and Mosaic). First IPA I've made in a long time that turned out good. Dry hopped with 1oz Mosaic at 6 days and dropped another ounce in the keg. It's going to be a minor hop bomb but the sample tasted terrific.

View attachment 396185

Canning some starter wort right now. After the batch that's in the pressure canner is finished I'm calling it a night. Tomorrow I will fill the rest of the canning and get them done. This way I should be set for the remainder of the year if not longer. After all said and done I'll have 12 pints and 12 quarts. Woohoo!!! [emoji2]

Bottled a bretted Saison (initially fermented with WY3724, then transferred to a glass carboy with Yeast Bay Brussels Brett for 4 months). 12 champagne bottles, and it's tasting really good already. Can't wait for it to be carbed up and in the bottles and to open one up on a hot summer's day.

Checked on my Belgain Saison (down to 1.003!) and milled grain/measured hops for a batch of Electric Hop Candy to be brewed tomorrow evening.

Kal

Drilled and tapped my 3 tap handles. L to right 338lapua(not mounted yet), 50 cal tracer for an M8 spotter rifle, 50 BMG. Test fitted, I need to clear coat them yet and paint the fridge.

Tap%20handles_zpslbfb48q5.jpg

Worked on my 40 gal rotomold fermenter. Fabricated a stand, rolled the chiller coil from 60' of 1/2" copper tubing. I was planning on using 50' but the extra 10' just might fit. Soldered the fittings, drilled the holes in the cap and top side and installed bulkhead fittings to mount the coil and blow off tube.
Tomorrow I'll paint the stand and start applying reflectix to the fermenter.

Planted some new hop varieties. Should be interesting. Columbia, Serebrianka, Vojvodina. Would be cool to have some hops that aren't readily available. Also an extra Cascade.

Racked a batch of Yooper's FYB to a serving keg. Hyd sample tastes goooooood.

I also racked my use up hops pale ale into a keg.

Installed the liquid disconnects in my new kegerator and the keg is now chilling

I'm getting ready for the maiden brew using my single barrel system. I've gotten my various components organized so that everything is in reach by use of pumps and hoses, wiring connection on my nuclear mash tun checked, fermenter set up (stc1000+) set for the recipe, after completing the fermenter I'll need to run the CIP to remove any debris and sanitize. I made a 2L starter and that was today.

Tomorrow I'll run everything backward from the fermenter to the boil kettle then to the mash tun in cleaning. Power wash, boil and acid wash my fermenter coil finally sanitizing everything. I think then I'll be ready for a brew. Only a 20 gal triple to start.

Moved my Yooper's FYB from cold crash side to serving temp side of my side-by-side and put it on CO2.

Back