Dead Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbsj

Reaction score
I started a batch of a cream ale and pitched my yeast saturday evening. It took a while to start fermenting (2 days rather than the 12 hours I normally see) and didn't ferment with the normal vigor. I used a brewvint yeast fuel too. This morning i checked it and there is nothing. The bobbing part in the air lock isn't even elevated any more. I used white lab yeast. I didn't think the fermentation would be done by now. Any ideas? Should I go pick up more yeast aqnd try pitching it, or is this batch dead? thanks.

I'm a beginner, but maybe I can be of help. How many hours did you see active fermentation? What temperature did you pitch the yeast at?

From what I've read on here, the airlock isn't the best sign of fermentation. I would give it until Friday and then take a hydrometer reading. Take another on Saturday and if the readings are the same, its done and you can transfer to secondary.

My first batch was a Cooper's Dark Ale. All airlock activity had ceased about three days after I pitched the yeast, and a day later, being impatient and wanting to be able to try my first brew, I bottled. The SG had gone from a little over 1.04 to a little under 1.01, so I got about 75% attenuation which was right for the yeast that I used.

mgt is on the right track. If you are worried about a stuck fermentation, take a hydrometer reading (no need to wait until Friday) and see what the reading is. Take another reading the following day.

Are they the same? If so, fermentation has effectively stopped.

Is the number too high? If so, you're not done, but have a stuck fermentation. Possible remedies include raising the temp, swirling the fermenter to rouse the yeast, or repitching. If the number seems right for your FG, congratulations, you're ready to transfer to secondary or give it an extra week in the primary and bottle.

Back