*sigh* just a little disappointed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadYetiBrew

Reaction score
So we were brewing our weizenbock mini-mash... promash gave me an estimate of 1.080 SG...

It being our first mash i decided to experiment with it. I decided to mash on the stove. unfortunately that is not a good idea... the temperature varies way to much and the bottom grains get hotter... The thermometer was accurate but the temperature varied way too much... Needless to say we're going to do it different next time...

Estimated SG = 1.080
Actual SG = 1.055 (in other words the 6 lbs of DME lol)

Partial Mash gone bad... :(

Not too worried though it should still taste good...

DeadYetiBrew said:
So we were brewing our weizenbock mini-mash... promash gave me an estimate of 1.080 SG...

It being our first mash i decided to experiment with it. I decided to mash on the stove. unfortunately that is not a good idea... the temperature varies way to much and the bottom grains get hotter... The thermometer was accurate but the temperature varied way too much... Needless to say we're going to do it different next time...

Estimated SG = 1.080
Actual SG = 1.055 (in other words the 6 lbs of DME lol)

Partial Mash gone bad... :(

Not too worried though it should still taste good...

Sounds very similar to my weizenbock partial mash. Anticipated OG was 1.075, and my actual was just 1.064. My efficiency was a measly 42.5%.

I think next time i will use the oven method... Stove Top temperatures vary way too much...

I put 6lbs DME into promash and it gave me the 1.055 so basically i pulled no sugars from the grains...

DeadYetiBrew said:
I think next time i will use the oven method... Stove Top temperatures vary way too much...

I put 6lbs DME into promash and it gave me the 1.055 so basically i pulled no sugars from the grains...
Well, you should have gotten *something*. It sounds like something is amiss, but in any case you have a handle on what went wrong and can correct the next time.

Are you guys cooling the hydrometer sample before testing SG?

You might take a method form the AGers, and mash in a cooler. I think a picnic jug would work for small amounts, or a small cooler. Probaly with a grain bag (5 gallon paint strainer), then just lift the bag out and let it drain. Pour the runnings into the brew pot. Then refill the cooler with 170 degree water, and soak grains (stir too) again for ten minutes- do a mini batch sparge.

A couple times like that, and all you'll need is a bigger cooler to go AG...

I highly recommend steam mashing. I also like using a small 3 gallon batch the first time you try a recipe.

I got 33 points per pound on my brew last night. I think you are going to have to fly sparge to get the yield you want.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Well, you should have gotten *something*. It sounds like something is amiss, but in any case you have a handle on what went wrong and can correct the next time.

Exactly, and it shouldn't turn out too bad anyway...

We cooled the actual wort to 65 before taking the sample so i'm sure it was correct. I'm thinking oven method or a small cooler... I don't know why i didn't get any sugar, i thought i should have gotten something too. eh well not too worried bad homebrew is still good beer... :mug: it's fermenting pretty well too almost into the blowoff tube...

How many lbs or grain did you use? I did a stepped partial mash batch w/ 3.5 lbs and very little heat fluctuation. I used a stainless steel pot like a dutch oven. Its pretty thick bottomed pot. I got a 70% mash efficiency. I used my rubbermade MLT to lauter and sparge.

My next try will be a full AG pale ale.

Check out this. Link for making your own MLT from a cooler.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23008

I made one with a 5 gal. I also own a 12 gal cooler that I can convert if needed.

It cost me about $40 total; cooler + fittings.

Another couple cool links...

http://cruisenews.net/brewing/infusion/page1.php

http://cruisenews.net/brewing/partial_mash/page3.php

Like you indicated it'll probably be damn good with a nice rocky head!

:mug:

Schlenkerla said:
How many lbs or grain did you use? I did a stepped partial mash batch w/ 3.5 lbs and very little heat fluctuation. I used a stainless steel pot like a dutch oven. Its pretty thick bottomed pot. I got a 70% mash efficiency. I used my rubbermade MLT to lauter and sparge.

My next try will be a full AG pale ale.

Check out this. Link for making your own MLT from a cooler.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23008

I made one with a 5 gal. I also own a 12 gal cooler that I can convert if needed.

It cost me about $40 total; cooler + fittings.

Another couple cool links...

http://cruisenews.net/brewing/infusion/page1.php

http://cruisenews.net/brewing/partial_mash/page3.php

Like you indicated it'll probably be damn good with a nice rocky head!

It was 4 1/2 lbs... we'll try the oven next and then maybe use a cooler... dunno we're strapped for funds as it is so we're trying to slowly acquire equipment.

I used to mash on the stove top. If you stir constantly while applying heat, and a few minutes after turning the heat off, the temperature throughout the mash should be fairly consistent.

-a.

You might want to pick up a cheap eye dropper and some iodine at the pharmacy. Less than $5.00

This way you can check for the starch conversion. I've got these just the other day for the heck of it...

Or you could have my problem. My Munich Summerdunkel that I brewed yesterday ended up with an absurd efficiency. I was shooting for 1.056, and I ended up at 1.068. Now I'm thinking I'll have to make a hop tea to make up for the low IBU's.

Latest posts

Back