Autumn Seasonal Beer Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I talked to the guys from my LHBS about this and they said if you want subtle to no pumpkin flavor add it at flame out (5 minutes) so im assuming if you added this in the mash you would burn off all the flavors and such in the BK....I'll let you know how my run goes I am freezing the Libbys Pumpkin and cutting it into pieces then adding them to secondary...This is how I've done other fruit beers that have turned out great! I am still using the "suggested" amount of Pumpkin just at a different time!

It's all about trial and error. We are pitching one 5.5 gallon batch with Burton Ale Yeast WLP023 and an English Ale Strand WlP002...should be interesting to compare

I brewed a Honey Blonde with Wildflower Honey at flameout 2 pounds to be exact...and the flavor was subtle you could barely tell it was present...This pumpkin im hoping will be up front NASTY!

Oddly enough, both the S-04 and S-05 finished out at a 1.020 gravity. A bit higher than I had expected (especially for the 05), but, not too far off Yuri's estimation. The S-05 version tastes a bit drier, but, the S-04 tastes better coming out of secondary. We'll see how they settle out after a week in the keg.

Well, I ended up dumping half of my 10-gallon batch over the S-05 yeast cake, and pitched S-04 over the other half. Will report back on the differences.

For my 10G batch, I mostly followed a 2/3rds scaling of the AG version Yuri has at the beginning of this thread, with the following major differences:

• I used 1+ pound of rice hulls since I didn't want to futz with a stuck sparge.
  • Three sugar-pie pumpkins fresh off the vines of my garden. Sugar pies are commonly used for pie baking. They are smaller than jack-o-lantern and are fairly easy to work with.
  • Pumpkins were halved and scooped of seeds/guts, then baked (face up) in a 350˙F convection oven for 1 hour.
  • Once cooled, they were de-skinned and smooshed thoroughly. I then heated them to 158˙F (mash temp), mixed in with rice hulls, and then put into the mash together with the grain bill.
  • Next time, I will probably go after it with the stick blender to break it up a bit more. I had ZERO problems sparging -- it fly-sparged just like normal...
  • 15 pounds of whole pumpkins yielded about exactly what I wanted: 8+ pounds of cooked/peeled flesh

Made this and while it taste great out of the hydrometer tube, I just racked it and its horrible, Im hoping its just still real green (but Ive never had green beer taste like this). But I the spices during the boil, and it doesnt even smell like the spices, it smells and taste like almost diluted rubbing alochol, so Im lost. I scale mine back a tad and had the OG at 1.050 and the FG was 1.015. I dunno, Ill give it a while, but Im going to try and brew another batch and hopefully this one turns out go.

I'm in my fourth hour of sparging with no end in sight. There has to be a better way, I just have to find it. Damn that pumpkin goop.

I did 13.5 gallon batch and didn't have any issue with a stuck sparge. It took about 2 hours, though. It was steady. I used 1.5 lbs of rice hulls in the mash.

1. Easy with the ginger! I added all the spices individually instead of using Cinnamon Plus or somesuch. 1/2 tsp of ginger at 5 min completely dominated the flavor when I sampled after 5 days. I let it sit in primary for 3 weeks, which did tame it some, but I still used some cinnamon/nutmeg "spice tea" for secondary to hopefully balance it out.

2. Rice hulls are your friend. 1.5 pounds for my 6-gallon batch and my sparge was normal. My MLT has a PVC manifold tho.

3. I used 20L Crystal instead of 60L. After 3 weeks the color is a beautiful pumpkiney orange.

Just finished brewing 11 gallons of this and 5.5 of my amber...Dual days are rough! I also used a grain bag to try to contain my pumpkin in the mash but my luck was slim...under half remained after my 3 sparges! I really need to get my false bottom in the mail. Anyways I also added pumpkin in the boil and the color is outstanding! I will be waiting tell secondary to add the spices and let it clear for a while...split 11g's into 2 5.5 gallon batches and pitched with 2 different yeast...I cant wait to try the Burton out. I'll post pics when I get some energy.

Just finished brewing 11 gallons of this and 5.5 of my amber...Dual days are rough! I also used a grain bag to try to contain my pumpkin in the mash but my luck was slim...under half remained after my 3 sparges! I really need to get my false bottom in the mail. Anyways I also added pumpkin in the boil and the color is outstanding! I will be waiting tell secondary to add the spices and let it clear for a while...split 11g's into 2 5.5 gallon batches and pitched with 2 different yeast...I cant wait to try the Burton out. I'll post pics when I get some energy.

Did you use canned pumpkin or fresh? I used cooked fresh pumpkin that was pureed in a food processor. I threw this in a grain bag, and honestly I don't think I lost much at all through that grain bag!

I apologize, can someone walk me through the logistics of a full boil extract batch?

Assuming on a turkey fryer, how much water to start with for a 5 gallon batch?

Do I steep the grains in the full amount of water?

Thanks, and sorry if this has been covered.

Am I correct in that the Brew-Master Yuri has continued to update his recipe on post #1 and 2 or is there are new version in one of the hundreds of posts?

Did you use canned pumpkin or fresh? I used cooked fresh pumpkin that was pureed in a food processor. I threw this in a grain bag, and honestly I don't think I lost much at all through that grain bag!

Yeah i used canned pumpkin and baked it first...Ohnestly It was contained during the dough in but after that the multiple sparges got the best of it...heck even my grain bag had some wear and tear! Pumpkin is one way to get that Vintage look out of your Cooler. I need to Bleach it after that! :drunk:

Am I correct in that the Brew-Master Yuri has continued to update his recipe on post #1 and 2 or is there are new version in one of the hundreds of posts?
I've tried to keep it up to date. Maybe read onto page 2 just to be sure.

I didn't brew it last year, so my posts are a bit dated. I do intend to brew it again this year.

I'd REALLY love to have this thing ready for a Halloween party I'm going to on Oct 30. I can brew it this Sunday. Is 5 weeks enough, or will it just be too young?

Bottled BTW.

I'd REALLY love to have this thing ready for a Halloween party I'm going to on Oct 30. I can brew it this Sunday. Is 5 weeks enough, or will it just be too young?

Bottled BTW.

It won't be it's best, buy it could be ready. 1 week in the primary, 1 week in the secondary, 1.5 weeks to carbonate, and 1.5 weeks to cold condition in the bottle.

Do-able... If you have any left, it will be great by Thanksgiving!

Ok, I'll try.

It's a small party, so I was only planning on taking 24. I'm doing a Graff Cider as well, so I can take 24 of that.

Rest for myself. Although to answer your question it won't be ready for CANADIAN thanksgiving ;)

Just finished brewing 11 gallons of this and 5.5 of my amber...Dual days are rough!

I know what you mean, I usually do dual brews. Partial mash in the kitchen = about 8 hour brew days! Today I am brewing the Pumpkin Ale (5g) , and EdWorts Haus Pale Ale (5g) ... Only 6 more hours to go. (I really need to work on putting together an outdoor brew rig!)

I have one, propane is no fun but I switched to NG...ohnestly the mess is the same because you'll switch to bigger equpitment and have to clean more! It makes it much easier if you have good draining...my backyard floods when I brew(im currently investing in a better, Eco friendly way to chill my wort) a CFC is coming soon. Good luck

I don't mind the time, or the mess, but if I could pump out 10 gallons at a time, it just seems more worthwile.

I had heard that there was a pumpkin shortage this year. Not sure if it is true but I just picked up 3 29oz cans of pumpkin at Sams club for $6.88. Now i can make this great beer again.

Just starting prepping for a 5gal AG batch. I have 90oz of the canned Libby pumpkin in the oven @350 now. Not sure if I really need that much, but I have it. I can always just keep it out of the mash if it's too much. Do I calculate my strike water out as if the pumpkin puree was grain? Or, do I just need to calculate my strike volume based on the grain bill?

TIA

Just starting prepping for a 5gal AG batch. I have 90oz of the canned Libby pumpkin in the oven @350 now. Not sure if I really need that much, but I have it. I can always just keep it out of the mash if it's too much. Do I calculate my strike water out as if the pumpkin puree was grain? Or, do I just need to calculate my strike volume based on the grain bill?

TIA

Just calculate the strike volume based on the grain bill. Ignore the pumpkin.

Agreed on grain since the pumpkin isn't absorbing any water just taking up space in the MT

So this is my first time brewing a pumpkin beer. The gentleman at the brewing supply store directed me to an irish stout as I wanted a heavier mouthfeel. He also suggested that I omit the hops so that one could taste the pumpkin. Is this a good idea? Will it be too sweet? I'm a bit lost.

So this is my first time brewing a pumpkin beer. The gentleman at the brewing supply store directed me to an irish stout as I wanted a heavier mouthfeel. He also suggested that I omit the hops so that one could taste the pumpkin. Is this a good idea? Will it be too sweet? I'm a bit lost.

I don't know about that. The 158*F mash temperature will provide a very full body and heavy mouthfeel if you're doing all grain. If it still isn't enough or if you're doing extract, just add some maltodextrin.

I don't think you need to make everything a stout to give it a full body.

I don't know about that. The 158*F mash temperature will provide a very full body and heavy mouthfeel if you're doing all grain. If it still isn't enough or if you're doing extract, just add some maltodextrin.

I don't think you need to make everything a stout to give it a full body.

I'm doing an extract brew. I was thinking about maybe boiling the hops for a shorter time than is suggested in order to taste the pumpkin more. Would it be too sweet?

img1007bs.jpg

Alright first attempt at Extract with Specialty Grains. Sure looks pretty! Crazy amount of Trub. I did a yeast starter with S-04 which I now understand I really didn't need to do. Needless to say it took off, this picture is after less than 8 hours. Glad I put a blowoff tube on.

My OG was 1.060 which seems high.

I'm doing an extract brew. I was thinking about maybe boiling the hops for a shorter time than is suggested in order to taste the pumpkin more. Would it be too sweet?

I think the malt and spices get in the way of the pumpkin way more than the hops in this recipe. In fact, you can't really taste any hops at all. They really just offset the sweetness a bit.

So, I'd just leave the hops the way they are.

Brewed this about a week and a half ago. Going to move it over to secondary in a little while. Just moved it to the kitchen and it's gonna need some time to settle. RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF TRUB! All the way up to my 1 gallon mark!

has anyone ever sauteed the pumpkin, perhaps WITH the spices? or does the roasting process give something to the pumpkin that the beer needs?

Just brewed today and things were.......interesting to say the least. Sparge went good actually; batch sparged with a SS braid and no rice hulls - went smooth and steady. Actually seemed to have less grist in it than my usual beers (Hmmmmm, maybe I'll start adding pumpkin as a grist filter :drunk:)

My only big problem was that I mashed way too low. I shot about 4 degrees low for my strike because of my hot pumpkin coming out of the oven. And my initial mash ended up about 154. So, I heated up a 1/2 gallon boiling water to add and after mashing for 60 it ended up at 150! So, I don't know what to say about that. Somebody told me I could add Malto-Dextrin but I'm not sure how much or when or if it's even necessary at this point.

Other than that, brew day went good. Shot for 5.5 gallons, ended up with 5. But it was pretty tasty!

Oh, and because I was brewing it No-Chill style, I added half the amount of spice at flameout, and will just add more as a spice tea I suppose.

Hopefully I'll be able to judge how much it needs before bottling

Back