Favorite Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbase9

Reaction score
Does anyone really have a favorite beer? Or maybe a favorite style of beer?

I find it like trying to pick my favorite child, if i had children. I can't play favorites to one, I have to love them all equally. Just like God would do, right?

Like how do you decide which is better a really good IPA or a belgian ale? I just can't do it.

I'm pretty easy.....anything that is NOT HOPPY. I don't like hopped up brews. How you IPA or even double IPA lovers like that stuff is beyond me.

I'm pretty partial to traditional english style ale's myself be they brown, porter, or stout. I'm not too keen on the really big beers or anything that is overly bitter (although an ESB or IPA done right can be good).

Through this hobby I have also discovered that with the exception of Rouge Dead Guy Ale, all my favorite beers use Target hops for bittering and EK Goldings for aroma.

My answer is always the same....cold. I like cold beer. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a nice stout. Sometimes an ESB, sometimes an IPA, hell even sometimes even a nice pilsner.

Homer Simpson said it best....mmmmmmmmmmmmmbeer

loop

TheJadedDog said:
all my favorite beers use Target hops for bittering and EK Goldings for aroma.

So you have multiple favorites too? or just one? At least you've narrowed it down to a style. I think i need to drink more.
:cross:

It will always be the same for me:

1. Stout or Porter
2. Heffe WeiB
3. Pumpkin or Spice Ale
4. Winter Ales
5. Belgian Wit (Blue Moon)

I fell in love with hops. Once I tasted some commercial brews: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Dogfish Head 60 Min IPA, I crossed over to the "dark side". It is hard for me to enjoy a non-hopped up beer now. I do, however, like Blue Moon as a great summer beer. Drinking the IPAs and Pale Ales got me into trying to brew my own. Am now in the process of my first batch - Pale Ale. And will next do an IPA. Anyone have any recommendations for a particular IPA kit. Remember that I am just a beginner. Thanks.

I have to say I'm a sucker, in general, for Russian Imperial Stouts and Geuze/Lambic. Saisons are also some of my favs.

In particular...

-Avery's Czar Russian Imperial Stout
-Hanssen's Oude Kreik
-Fantome's Saison
-Schnieder's Aventinus
-Gouden Carolus' Grand Cru of the Emperor
-Aged Westvleteren-St. Sixtus and/or Orval
-Unibroue's Ephemere Cassis

Just to name a few...

I find in general as long as the beer is well made is what counts. I mean crap beer is crap beer. Some folks have different tolerances for some experiences. Me, I like it all just about...except for the camp of extremes for the sake of extremes, that just doesn't do it for me personally. I think in general as well, this is important when sharing your beer to not take offense if somebody doesn't like it on account of what their own palate likes. Plus some days I'm just in the mood for a thick Oatmeal Stout, whereas others I reach for an APA or a Pils.

Well up until a few days ago I would have said Bud Light..... but I recently tried Dos Equis and I think I've found a new favorite.

loopmd said:
My answer is always the same....cold. I like cold beer. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a nice stout. Sometimes an ESB, sometimes an IPA, hell even sometimes even a nice pilsner.

Homer Simpson said it best....mmmmmmmmmmmmmbeer

loop

LMAO couldn't have said it better myself!:mug:

I'm definately not a picky drinker when it comes to styles but I am when it comes to quality.

My favs are:

Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale
Stone Ruination
Anderson Valley Summer Cervasa Creme Ale
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Rogue Chestnut Brown Ale
Rogue Red Ale
Brooklyn Monster Barleywine Ale
Goose Island Icarus (if you ever see this on tap at Goose Island order a few growlers to take home!)

Ol' Grog said:
I'm pretty easy.....anything that is NOT HOPPY. I don't like hopped up brews. How you IPA or even double IPA lovers like that stuff is beyond me.

I suppose you could call me a hop-head. I have lived in Delaware for almost 5 years now, and my appreciation of Dogfish Head's 60/90 Minute IPAs has certainly grown.

I am taking a tour of the brewery in a couple of weeks, and then going to happy hour at the Dogfish Head brewhouse. During happy hour they bust out Randall, the Enamel Animal. Basically, they hook up a giant tube full of whole-leaf hops and run their already hoppy 60/90min IPA through it. Mmmmmmmm :ban:

Ryanh1801 said:
Pick some of that up tonight, never had it but heard nothing but good things about it. I like the 9% also..:drunk:

It's quite good and I suspect the 9% is why it comes in 4 packs! I save that one for a weekend with not much going on!

aduncan75 said:
It's quite good and I suspect the 9% is why it comes in 4 packs! I save that one for a weekend with not much going on!

Well i went ahead a popped one open.. I am very impressed. The beer has a great flavor. Looks like its gonna be the new beer i pick up when i go across town to the liquor store. I wish i could find the 120 at the store i go to. Also tried a new Trappist beer tonight that was very good also.

Ryanh1801 said:
Well i went ahead a popped one open.. I am very impressed. The beer has a great flavor. Looks like its gonna be the new beer i pick up when i go across town to the liquor store. I wish i could find the 120 at the store i go to. Also tried a new Trappist beer tonight that was very good also.

I didn't know about the 120. I'm gonna have to hunt that down. Rohoboth Beach isn't that far away!

John Beere said:
I'm still stuck on Brooklyn Brewery's Lager and IPA... those are the only commercial beers you'll find in my cooler.

I'm planning on taking the Brooklyn Brewery tour soon. I havent' actually tried their IPA yet as I've only started liking IPAs after I've started brewing myself. I just love the smell of the Hops. I'll pick up a sixer of this over the weekend on your recommendation. :mug:

aduncan75 said:
I didn't know about the 120. I'm gonna have to hunt that down. Rohoboth Beach isn't that far away!

I know a few people that have bought them, suppose to be very, very good. I know their is a bar that stocks them, but it is very pricey. Not so sure i want to drink a 20% beer, others and the try and drive home.

I'm a self proclaimed Deschutes fan boy.

Hop Trip, Cinder Cone, Hop Henge, Mirror Pond. these 4 are in my top 10 of all beers.

I love IPAs too. Racer 5 is probably my favorite, Stone IPA is great, Lagunitas IPA is one of my favorites as well.

Yum. i wish it wasn't a week night.

Rook said:
I'm a self proclaimed Deschutes fan boy.

Hop Trip, Cinder Cone, Hop Henge, Mirror Pond. these 4 are in my top 10 of all beers.

I love IPAs too. Racer 5 is probably my favorite, Stone IPA is great, Lagunitas IPA is one of my favorites as well.

Yum. i wish it wasn't a week night.
Those are great beers,but I do say that I like the HopHead IPA at Bend Brewing Co. the best.I fly from Chicago to Oregon every couple of years to see the beauty and drink some great beers.

I don't have a favorite style so much as favorite hops and malt profiles. I like american hops that balance a slight malty character. Whatever style does that is good by me.

cnbudz said:
In no particular order, Guinness, Orval, Sam Smith Taddy Porter, PBR

I tried Orval for the first time tonight also, it was pretty good, i still like Chimay blue label better though. Bought the Rochefort 8 trappist also, waiting for tomorrow to try it.

Rook, have you had Boundary Bay IPA out of Bellingham? My fave NW IPA hands down!

As for my favorite beers...I've mentioned a couple of times, my love of Orval, but let's speak in more general terms.

I'm a hophead. I love agressively hopped IPAs (I'm drinking Weyerbacher Double Simcoe as I type (thanks Bird) and I love the sour Belgians; Flanders Red, Sour Browns and Gueuze. (Especially Rodenbach, Liefmans Goudenband, Cantillon, Drie Fontainen, Boon & Hansen's) I also enjoy a variety of other styles as long as they're quality beers.
I had two Victory Prima Pils at my local tonight. Great beer!

I appreciate breweries that push boundaries and brew quality beers.

Anything by Rogue. Damn they brew good beer! I just wish they were easier to get in Canada.

I wish it were easier to ship beer to Canada. I would definitely be up for a beer swap. I can get all of Rogue's beers. I attend the Great Canadian Beer Festival in Victoria every year and discovered that there are some amazing Canadian micros that you never see here in the states.

wow.....don't know if I can answer this one honestly

this is why I love beer so much. A different beer for a different day, or different mood.

I enjoy everything from Miller Lite to Arrogant Bastard. It all depends.....

however I do always seem to have a case of Pacifico in my fridge at all times.

So it looks like I'm not alone. Most of you can't say that you only have one favorite. You make a list of 4 or so. Except for the Bud Light guy. So that's good, maybe I'll find a favorite style though. That seems to be easier.

stouts. youngs double chocolate is amazing! i also like sierra nevada stout

I will have to add BJ's Brewerey's Grand Cru to my list. This was tasting pretty good last night. I will be brewing this myself shortly!

Whoa! this thread was certainly revived form the archives!

But since it was, I might as well chime in. Honestly, I can appreciate any well made beer for what it is. From an RIS to a light summer ale, as long as it's a quality brew and not BMC, it's good for me.

Having said that I tend to lean toward bigger beers like IPA's, Strong Belgians, Bocks and strong stouts most of the time but also appreciate a good Wit and Dortmunder.

Some of my favorite brews:

Anything that I have on hand :)
GLBC Dortmunder Gold
Unibroue's Trois Pistoles
Stone Arrogant Bastard
Stone IPA
Dogfish Head 90 min IPA
Thirsty Dog Hoppus Maximus
GLBC Nosferatu
North Coast Old Rasputin RIS

My favorites That's easy. The next one.:)

Ok my faves are:

Bock
Pilsener
Nut Brown Ale
Belgian trappists
American Wheat
Kolsch
Prolly a bunch more

My least faves are:

Anything hopped up like IPAs, Altbier, etc
Anything with roasted barley ir black patent like stouts, or porters

orfy said:
Guess.............

Hobgoblin? :p

Anyway...

I've not yet identified what is is that I DON"T like in certain brews... For the most part I like everything though I truly enjoy Wee Heavies. I would have said a while ago that I hated hops, but I've had some VERY good IPA's recently that had a great hoppy flavour and aroma but didn't have a bitter bite that I previously associated with hops... Perhaps its a specific variety of hops I don't like... I'll have to start making a list to compare.

Different beers for different moods I'd say...

Back