Transfer to secondary BEFORE fermentation stops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sensibull

Reaction score
Why does my LHBS guy stress that I go to secondary before fermentation stops? Both extract kits I have bought from him say to do this IN BIG CAPITAL LETTERS. The prevailing wisdom around here seems to be that if you do a secondary at all, it should be after fermentation is over.

I'm guessing this has to do with avoiding oxidization and transferring before the CO2 layer dissipates but I'm having a hard time not following his directions when it is stressed so heavily.

You will find the entire discussion on in this thread if you follow the links in there. Multiple Questions About Secondary Fermentation.

It was covered to death in there.

An ultimately it is out dated information they are going by, which is really common when folks don't follow the prevailing trends talked about in podcasts, on forums like this and even the magazines.....

Jamil has recommended moving to secondary before the end of active fermentation in specific circumstances (I vaguely recollect he was suggesting it for beers you intend to condition for more than six months, but I really don't remember).

I don't secondary myself, unless there's an addition that I'd like to let my beer condition on top of (fruit, certain kinds of hops, spices, etc.)

I was a winemaker before I ever thought of beer, and that's something that is beaten into the heads of winemakers. We always rack when the gravity is 1.010-1.020 if possible, but certainly before FG is reached so that the wine is taken off of the lees and the co2 protects the wine in the new carboy.

I think that was just taken over into beermaking. There are some good theories behind it. The problem is in practice.

Racking early doesn't seem to benefit the beer at all, and in fact may introduce infection and remove it from the beneficial yeast that "clean up" after fermentation is finished. Yeast will go back after fermentation is over, and actually digest some of their own waste products, like diacetyl. I think as more homebrewers are experimenting, more knowledge is being shared and better techniques are being known.

I was a winemaker before I ever thought of beer, and that's something that is beaten into the heads of winemakers.

Thanks for the responses everyone. The above makes perfect sense in this situation, as my particular LHBS guy seems to be more of a winemaker than a beermaker.

Also moving it during fermentation more often than not has led to stuck fermentations.....And off flavors. Because the strongest, most active yeast is still in primary, rather than relying on some weaker, less flocculant yeast to clean up the messes.

There are reasons for racking early. Some very good brewers rack a little early because they believe yeast will absorb some of the oxygen that can be introduced while dry hopping. Having said that, it is probably potentially more detrimental to your beer to rack early.

However, if you are pitching a proper quantity of healthy yeast, there is no reason any undesireable compounds won't be broken down in a secondary, there is plenty of yeast left suspended in your beer for that unless it has been cold crashed for a long time.

I'm not sure where the thought that weaker yeast remains suspended in beer while stronger yeast flocculates out came from, but I am pretty sure that is not true.

Jamil has recommended moving to secondary before the end of active fermentation in specific circumstances (I vaguely recollect he was suggesting it for beers you intend to condition for more than six months, but I really don't remember).

I don't secondary myself, unless there's an addition that I'd like to let my beer condition on top of (fruit, certain kinds of hops, spices, etc.)

So the other day I was listening to one of the early Sunday Sessions on the BN and it happened to be the first time Jamil came on the show. He said, and I quote, "I don't believe in using a secondary."

Back