Oktoberfest Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefkdub

Reaction score
I pitched a wyeast oktoberfest yeast into a starter and it did not become active for 3 days. It smells fine and is bubbling away now. Has anyone else had the same problem or have any input?

How are you determining it did not start? by seeing bubbles? Bubbles are not 100% accurate it can start with you not seeing anything.

Yeah, that is how I was judging it. All the other starters that I have made have started foaming and bubbling within a day. I have never used this yeast before, so I wasn't sure. I almost thew it out. I'm lucky that I was being lazy and left it in there.
My other problem is that I can't brew for another week or so. I assume that it would be o.k. to build up the starter a couple of times and then refrigerate it untill I need it.

+1 on the above, also what temp did you have it at? Lower temps will cause longer lag, and being a lager yeast I assume you had it at a lower temp.

I just did my first Oktoberfest last weekend (it's my first lager, too) and used the wyeast oktoberfest yeast (2633). I had it at 53° for over 48 hours before it showed any visible signs of fermentation.

+1 on the above, also what temp did you have it at? Lower temps will cause longer lag, and being a lager yeast I assume you had it at a lower temp.

I just did my first Oktoberfest last weekend (it's my first lager, too) and used the wyeast oktoberfest yeast (2633). I had it at 53° for over 48 hours before it showed any visible signs of fermentation.

It's at 70-72 deg.(room temp) I'm a little worried about puting my homade plate stirrer in the keezer.

Back