Forgot to Sanitize my Secondary!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SW Brewer

Reaction score
So, in the heat of fending off my little daughters and trying to get my beer transferred to the secondary, I rinsed the carboy secondary, but forgot to sanitize it! What are my chances of losing this batch? Its pretty high alcohol (ruination all grain clone), but I am worried that I just wasted all that hard work. Whaddya think?

I think it might be a good idea to bottle it up and move on to the next batch. Thats just my opinion though...

All i can say buddy, Is 50/50 chance.
If you cleaned the carboy really well....You have a fairly good chance.

Take a sample in a couple days.. If it tastes good, But you are still worried..You could keg it early...Little settement never killed anybody :)

Just my .02cents worth
Wish you the best of luck man, Been in your same spot before, Forgot to sanitise a keg once. Got lucky....But i drank it fast :mug:

Take a sample in a couple days.. If it tastes good, But you are still worried..You could keg it early...Little settement never killed anybody :)

Kegging it early is a very bad idea. Let it run it's course. If you do get an infection you do not want to infect your keg also. I will bet that the batch will turn out just fine.

I wouldn't worry about it, nor would I rush to bottle. I've done it once before and had no problems...If your secondary was CLEAN, then there's more than likely nothing in it that could do harm. Besides if you waited til fermentation was complete before racking, then you were moving alcohol, so it will be less problematic than if you racked pure wort.

Besides like I said, we've all done stuff like that and worse, and things have worked out. Our beer is stronger than most new brewers give it credit.

Just read thses stories and relax. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

I wouldn't worry about it either. If there was some junk in the carboy, you probably would have seen it while washing it out briefly and it would have caught your eye and warranted further attention.

It'll probably be fine.

~r~

Latest posts

Back