what bjcp beer style does this recipe look like

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSDracula

Reaction score
I bought a Belgian red ale recipe at my LHBS. I plan to brew this on Sunday. Unfortunately the recipes never list an official style. I want to carb to the style though. I think it is more authentic that way.

Here's the recipe: Dangerous Belgian Red
6 lbs light DME
1 lb amber Belgian candi sugar
1 oz German Hallertau hops pellets 60 mins
1 oz German Hallertau hops pellets 40 mins
1 oz Tettnang hops pellets knockout
Wyeast 3522 Belgain Ardens

Just looks like a Belgian beer to me. They call it a Belgian Red, and I would think that is close enough. 16E would be your best bet if you needed to classify it.

I think it's more likely 17C, although I'm not 100% sure about the yeast. I'm not sure if 3522 has Brettanomyces in it, or if maybe you add some lactic acid to it, or whatever. But, my intuition says Flanders Red.

EDIT: OK so I find another part of Wyeasts website where they refer to it as a mild Belgian Ale strain, and they have a recipe where you pitch that, and then add Brett to it later, so I guess it's probably not 17C then.

So, that being the case carnevoodoo is right, it goes under 16E.

TastyBrew.com recommends 3.7 oz of priming sugar for the style. That sounds about right to me. I wouldn't want it really bubbly. I did an extra foreign stout awhile ago and used 4 oz of priming sugar and really liked the bit less carbonation than what 5 oz provides so I guess I'll just go with that.

TastyBrew.com recommends 3.7 oz of priming sugar for the style. That sounds about right to me. I wouldn't want it really bubbly. I did an extra foreign stout awhile ago and used 4 oz of priming sugar and really liked the bit less carbonation than what 5 oz provides so I guess I'll just go with that.

Belgians are generally pretty well carbed. They are probably one of the most carbonated styles. Belgians can be 2.75-4 volumes. Stouts should be lower carbonated, if you want to carb to style.

I use 4 ounces (per five gallons) for most "regular" American styles. I use 2 ounces for British beers, and for Belgians about 5-6 ounces.

Latest posts

Back