Tannin extraction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droot

Brewing since 1991
Reaction score
Just a question. I don't mash out. Today I did a 90 minute 156* infusion. The runnings got down to 1.0084 give or take. The mash temp never got over 160*f. Did I extract tannin from the husk? I usually stop at 1.010. I hit the target gravity right on and efficiency was the usual 83%

I made an English bitter.
Here is the grain bill if it helps

Bierds (beards) Maris Otter 12.5 lbs
English crystal 40L 1 lb
Carapils 1 lb.

OG 1.041

Crush was right on too, Maltmill tm set at factory settings, I run the grain through twice.

22 Qts strike water, 11 gal batch.

Fly sparge with 170*

David :)

Taste everything as you brew. I recently brewed with a neighbor and was amazed that he did not taste anything at any point in the process. At some point in your brewing education you will be able to tell by taste alone how your brewing is going. Just like a great chef or baker!

It only tasted mildly sweet.

Thanks for the response.

David

It's doubtful you extracted enough tannins to notice, but it's largely dependent on your sparge water pH. The higher the water pH, the higher the risk of tannin extraction in a continuous sparge.

Back