Edwort's apfelwein question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenhead

Reaction score
I was unable to obtain montrachet yeast and the lhbs proprieter recommended the Lalvin K1-V1116 will this substitution make a huge difference?

thanks all
Todd

It will work fine. Thats what I used on my first batch.

The K1V-1116 strain tends to express freshness of white grape varieties such as Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc and Seyval. The natural fresh fruit aromas are retained longer than with other standard yeast strains. Fruit wines and wines made from concentrates poor in nutrient balance benefit from the capacity of K1V-1116 to adapt to difficult fermentation conditions.

Restarts stuck fermentations.

ditto - my first batch used that yeast and the second is underway with another packet. will work fine.

btw. i used it because it was supposed to not give off the montrachet rhino fart smell and that's been true so far.

I was unable to obtain montrachet yeast and the lhbs proprieter recommended the Lalvin K1-V1116 will this substitution make a huge difference?

thanks all
Todd

Nope. Not a big difference. And hopefully, you've already got some Montrachet lined up for your second batch (And start that second batch now!).

You'll need to get your pipeline going.

Michael

ditto - my first batch used that yeast and the second is underway with another packet. will work fine.

btw. i used it because it was supposed to not give off the montrachet rhino fart smell and that's been true so far.

You do not want to go into my basement where I have 13 gallons fermenting along with 5 gallons of another recipe. I went down there today and thought something died.

Alright so I pitched the yeast about 3 hrs ago (9pm mtn time) and I'm already seeing the yeast flocculate. I am glad that lalvin does not have the "rhino fart" smell, I already have a labrador and a German Wirehaired Pointer that do that for me. So I guess this is the beginning of a great adventure. I'll update everybody on how it turns out.

Everywhere seems to be sold out of the Montrachet Yeast. My theory is that Edwort has inspired everyone to brew his cider and the resulting demand has eliminated all supplies. I think we need a bailout! Edwort for president!

Back