Beer gushing into airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yezzo

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before I tried to search the forum but couldn't find it.

I brewed up a Belgian Triple on Sunday. Yesterday afternoon (Monday) when I came home the water in the airlock has been replaced with beer. The lid had beer on it and the top of the airlock looks like an icecream cone with a head of foam.

I never had this happen before, I was thinking of adding water to the airlock but I'm not sure.

It's still bubbling away, should I leave it? Any suggestions?

EDIT: what could have caused this to happen?

It is fine...it is in the "very active fermentation" period. High Krausen is the correct term, I believe. You need a blow-off tube, stick one end (sanatized) in the fermenter and the other in a bucket of water. When fermentation slows down put the sanatized air lock back on. You can get a blow-off tube at you LHBS.

It happens to all of us on occasion...Don't panic. It just means you have vigorous fermentation...

Is it in a bucket or carboy?

You'll need some sanitizer handy...so mix some up... then you will need to clean everything off and rig a blowoof tube...one option is this.

you can Mcgyver a blowoff tube on your airlock.

blowoff2.jpg

You have to find a piece of long hose that will fit in the center pipe of your airlock...I had to do it in a pinch and found the the hose I had for my bottling wand almost fit....I put a small slit in it, then I soaked it in hot water for a few minutes to Soften and slid it around the tube...

I also found it is a good idea to cut, saw or break off the little criss crossing piece of plastic at the bottom of the airlock. It works great!

If it's a carboy, another option is this;

PICT0470.JPG

Back