Worthington's White Shield

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
Okay all you folks in the UK! What can you tell us Yanks about Worthington's White Shield?

I just got done reading an article by Roger Protz in All About Beer magazine. He says that in 2000, the Coors Brewery bought the old Bass Brewery in Burton-On-Trent and found they had, in Protz' words, "the grandaddy of all India pale ales". Coors was expected to drop the beer, but they did not. Protz goes on to say that White Shield is bottled with natural yeast sediment!

I've been trying to find out if we can get it on this side of the pond, but so far, I've come up short. I'd like to try it!

I've noticed bottled White Shield appearing more and more in my local supermarkets (UK) in the past few months. I can't for the life of me remember who currently owns the brand as it has been passed about quite a lot over the past couple of decades IIRC.

The beer itself is v. bitter and is quite a thirst quencher. It does come with a layer of yeast sediment at the bottom but I haven't tried harvesting it yet. The beer is notoriously tricky to pour without giving yourself half a glass of beer and half a glass of foam! I not sure how much of this is down to it's bottle conditioning or the fact that the bottle has a long slender neck - making it hard to pour without 'glugging'.

Well worth a look if you happen to see it!

I've been trying to find it over here for 25 years without success.:(
I used to make a starter from the yeast, and use it for my own brewing. Worked great.:)
White Shield is what I used to think of as a really good IPA, but if I recall correctly is rather different than American IPA's.
But, a real ale made by Coors?:eek:

-a.

If its yeast you want then Youngs do a Champion live beer,fair bit af sediment in those.Really nice to drink as well!!!!!

There's a recipe for it in "Brewing beers like those you buy", by Dave Line.

It's an AG recipe which I modified to get rid of the sugar. I haven't brewed it in the last 10 years when I switched to draft, but I can probably find my recipe if you're interested.

-a.

try www.worthingtons-whiteshield.com for info on this wonderful beer.
most beers out of burton-on-trent gain their unique flavour from the local water which is very hard - don't know how well it will travel to your side of the pond but enjoy it anyway!
another fabulous english IPA, and in my mind the best, is Greene King IPA.
it is a brewery in Suffolk and has a wonderful 'twang' to it.

happy supping!:)

ajf said:
There's a recipe for it in "Brewing beers like those you buy", by Dave Line.

It's an AG recipe which I modified to get rid of the sugar. I haven't brewed it in the last 10 years when I switched to draft, but I can probably find my recipe if you're interested.

-a.

can you post it? :D

philsmith1967 wrote that Greene King IPA is the best:confused:
That IPA IMHO is the worst tasting ale in the whole world...people drink it and make up your own mind...Greene King are buying up hundreds of what once were fantastic pubs that had a good range of beers, then they force you to drink that mass produced tasteless dish water they call IPA:mad: :mad:

Back