Feedback on my new mashtun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatbeagle

Reaction score
Hi, all - I've been thinking about/working on this concept for a while, asking myself what the heck's wrong with the standard picnic-cooler style mash tun as you move up in the world. I recently made the great-granddaddy of all cooler tuns. I think it's a super concept, and based on my brewing experience, it ought to be both flexible enough and "cool" enough to do anything I could ever ask of it. I'd like to know what you all think, though. Lots of pics and my thoughts can be seen on my web site @ http://salvagebeer.com/blog/?p=39 . I hope it's okay to post links like this - I didn't see anyhting indicating otherwise. Mods, feel free to boot me if this is bad form, otherwise, I really would like to hear what folks think.

Thanks,

Rick

Well, I haven't actually USED it, yet, having spent all of my money on copper pipe, but I expect to be able to mash an obscene amount of grain, when it comes time to give it a shot. Due to traveling for the holidays, I won't even get to try it for at least two weeks, at which point, I think I'll start out by batch sparging a 10 or 15 gallon batch. I'll let you know how it goes!

It is - as long as I'm willing to set the pot on the ground for filling and lift it, full, onto the burner. When I get a permanent setup, I'll mount it to a 4-inch platform with some bolts, taking care of that extra step.

meatbeagle,

Awesome mash tun. If you haven't sweated the joints in the manifold yet, I'd suggest not doing so for most of them. I pinched my pipes a bit so they force fit, but don't come apart if bumped by an errant mash stirrer, yet they can still be pulled apart for rinsing and draining dry.

Also, awesome Churchill quote. There is an earlier part of their exchange where Churchill told Lady A that she was ugly. She replied that he was drunk (they were some dinner party). He said yes he was, but in the morning he would be sober while she would still be ugly. Then came the poison exchange between them.

I love Churchill quotes, whether he ever said most of them or not!

As for sweating the pipes, I've had really good luck with my plastic manifold, in regards to easy cleaning by cementing it to come apart into 2 separate pieces, and had thought to do the same with this one. I may attempt to make this mash tun my first piece of "clean-in-place" equipment, mostly 'cause I have a neato pump I'm dying to try out, and am interested in the concept.

Me too. How 'bout this one from during WWII:

Churchill's secretary: Mr Churchill, the First Sea Lord is here to see you.

Churchill (while sitting on his private toilet in his office): Tell him to wait, I can only deal with one A**hole at a time.

Back