American Barleywine Jeff's Sleep Easy American Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff62217

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1084
Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21@65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Optional
Tasting Notes
Still working on.
Two row(US) 18lbs
Victory (US) 3lbs
Crystal 60L 1.25lbs
Special Roast 0.5lbs

Simcoe 2oz/@60min (13.2%AA)
Chinook 2oz/@30min (14.2%AA)
Northern Brewer 2oz/@15min (10.0%AA)
Perle 2oz/@0min (8.9%AA)

Single infusion mash 152 degrees F for 90 mins. Sparge at 170. Ferment a minimum of three weeks at 65 F, secondary optional, bottle condition for 4-6 months. Carbonate to ~ 2.1 volumes of CO2 or desired carbonation if kegging. OG estimate based on 75% efficiency.

How did it turn out?

I jumped the gun a little bit writing this recipe, this was the third extract/first mini mash brew I did, and I wrote the recipe with an android based free brewing app. for all grain.

I missed my numbers pretty bad due to not be prepared for how to sparge, and my kettle thermometer ripping a hole in the grain bag. While it turned out decent enough to drink, I'm sure this version will give me more to go with in terms of being able to accurately describe what this recipe should taste like. I'll keep my first post updated.

So I'm brewing it today, and let me tell you if you have anything smaller than a 10 gallon water cooler mash tun, you'll need something bigger. 7 gal strike water and nearly 23 lbs of grain was right up to the top.

Edit 1/31/14
Well I missed my target og by a whopping 31 points, pitched a 1.5L active starter and it took off to the moon alice. Finished in 11 days at 1.012 for 3 days in a row. Bottle primed for 2.4 vol/co2 and started opening at 8 days, getting carbonation levels similar to English barleywines. The hop flavor is a very good balance with the amount of malt sweetness that sould be there in my beer... but isn't due to poor extraction efficiency or a bad recipe calc.

Also I adjusted some of the hop additions and the accurate AA of the strains I was using, it's closer to 85 IBUs than >100.

Either way work in progress but stay tuned.

After 2.5 months of bottle conditioning, this beer has matured beautifully. Down to my last 7-8 bottles... despite finishing at 1.012, it's got a malty residual toffee/caramel sweetness that really stands out. Color is a clear dark copper/almost crimson red. Can't hardly taste any of the 8oz of hops, but they provide a nice backbone to the maltiness. I primed to 2.3 volumes of co2, a little higher than normal for the style... but to my preference.

Gonna have to do this one again soon.

Back