White Chocolate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottD13

Reaction score
Tried a search but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Has anyone every brewed with white chocolate?

This may seem odd but I'm jonesing for a Starbucks White Chocolate Moca and the idea of a White Chocolate Oatmeal Stout hit me....

Sounds interesting... I'm a huge white chocolate fan. Dunno about in beer though. What makes white chocolate, white chocolate? Is it an addition beyond just cocoa? Because when you make a chocolate stout you use PURE 100% cocoa. Must be some other ingredient in white chocolate. Might want to check that out.

ok, with a quick wikipedia search it looks like white chocolate has no chocolate solids in it, just the cocoa butter, milk and sugar. So, I don't think you want butter in your beer.

Ó Flannagáin said:
ok, with a quick wikipedia search it looks like white chocolate has no chocolate solids in it, just the cocoa butter, milk and sugar. So, I don't think you want butter in your beer.

But Harry Potter drinks butter beer! :D

Very dissapointing.....I'll have to dig deeper and report back.

ScottD13 said:
But Harry Potter drinks butter beer! :D

Very dissapointing.....I'll have to dig deeper and report back.

lol, I hear ya. Perked my interest when I first read the title of the thread. Oil can kill a beer's head and flavor profile and I suspect cocoa butter has a lot in it. Otherwise, I'd recommend some lactose and some cocoa butter to get the flavor profile.

Ó Flannagáin said:
lol, I hear ya. Perked my interest when I first read the title of the thread. Oil can kill a beer's head and flavor profile and I suspect cocoa butter has a lot in it. Otherwise, I'd recommend some lactose and some cocoa butter to get the flavor profile.

I hear ya too...I had thought about grinding up some white chocolate into powder and suspending it in boiling water and adding it to the bottles. But it could fail...been thinking about a stout anyway...could try a bottle or two as a test.....

Interesting that white chocolate is coco butter, sugar, milk, and often vanilla....wonder if an approximate flavor could be made with lactos and vanilla.......

ScottD13 said:
I hear ya too...I had thought about grinding up some white chocolate into powder and suspending it in boiling water and adding it to the bottles. But it could fail...been thinking about a stout anyway...could try a bottle or two as a test.....

Interesting that white chocolate is coco butter, sugar, milk, and often vanilla....wonder if an approximate flavor could be made with lactos and vanilla.......

Might not be exact, but would be good. Cheesefood's caramel cream ale has loads of vanilla and lactose. Iv'e made it before and it was a tasty beverage.

I have been thinking along these lines for my next batch. I am going to turn a stout extract kit into a "Milk Stout" by adding some lactose for the last few minutes of the boil. After Primary, I am planning on racking it into 2 3Gal carboys to do 1/2 Chocolate, and 1/2 vanilla.

2.5G of "chocolate milk stout" racked on cocoa
2.5G of "vanilla milk stout" racked on a vanilla bean

I am sure there has been some similar experiments done in the past, and with all of the rave reviews on Cheesefoods Vanilla Carmel brew, I figured I would give it a try. thoughts?

White Chocolet would probably work, but there wouldn't be too much head on the beer. I'm sure it would taste great though. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out!

Back