Pounds to Cups?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aiko

Reaction score
Does anyone know the relation of pounds to cups? I have a recipe for a maple wheat and it calls for 2 lbs of maple syurp, I would like to know how many cups that is. I really hate to try to find a weight scale to mesusre it.

Aiko said:
Does anyone know the relation of pounds to cups? I have a recipe for a maple wheat and it calls for 2 lbs of maple syurp, I would like to know how many cups that is. I really hate to try to find a weight scale to mesusre it.

D cups = a lot of pounding.

(sorry)

You have to look at the weight and volume of the package and figure it out from there. It's going to depend on the gravity of the liquid.

A cup of water weighs roughly 1/2 a pound. So, for a rough guess, use slightly less than 4 cups (syrup weighs more than water).

If you're serious about brewing, I suggest getting yourself a good scale. Most brew ingredients are measured by weight.

Like CF said.

One is a volume the other is a weight.
So it changes dependant on what you are measuring.

A lb of sugar is less in cups than a lb of flour in cups.

Yuri_Rage said:
A cup of water weighs roughly 1/2 a pound. So, for a rough guess, use slightly less than 4 cups (syrup weighs more than water).

If you're serious about brewing, I suggest getting yourself a good scale. Most brew ingredients are measured by weight.

If a heavy wort can weigh 1.10, that's 10% more than water. Syrup's gravity ha sto be MUCh higher.

http://janus.state.me.us/legis/statutes/7/title7sec892-A.html said:
A. "Grade A Light Amber" means pure maple syrup that is free of any material other than pure, clear liquid maple syrup in sanitary condition; has a color no darker than the federal Department of Agriculture's visual color standard light amber or has a color for light transmittance not less than 75.0%Tc; has a delicately sweet, original maple flavor; and has a density of at least the equivalent of 66.0` Brix at 60` Fahrenheit Modulus 145. Grade A Light Amber maple syrup must be free of sugar crystals and may not be damaged in any way.

I think water is about 0 brix.

This means that it is 66% heavier than water. Ergo...

Yuri Rage said:
A cup of water weighs roughly 1/2 a pound.

They you need to figure that 4 cups = 2 pounds water. Multiply that by .66 and you get 2.64 cups = 2 pounds maple syrup.

Quality maple syrup has an average density of 66-67.9˚ Brix. http://ohioline.osu.edu/for-fact/0036.html

The density should be at least 66 Brix (66 percent solids) and not much more than about 67 to 67.5 Brix. Less than 66 and it is not legally maple syrup, it will be very thin, and will not store as well.

That gives a SG of 1.3275, so density = 1.3275kg/L

One pound = 0.45359237kg, so 2lb = 0.9071kg

One US cup = 236.58mL

So, putting it all together:

(0.9071kg)*(1L / 1.3275kg) * (1000mL / 1L) * (1 cup / 238.58mL) =2.87 cups

I do a lot of converting recipies from cups, tablespoons and teaspoons to lbs and ounces for commercial production.

My list of approximate measurements of foods and food ingredients has maple syrup listed at 11oz for 1 cup.

So you need 2.9 cups. Round up to 3 and you'll be fine :D

mrkristofo said:
Quality maple syrup has an average density of 66-67.9˚ Brix. http://ohioline.osu.edu/for-fact/0036.html

That gives a SG of 1.3275, or a density of 0.88945 kg/L.

One pound = 0.45359237kg, so 2lb = 0.9071kg

One US cup = 236.58mL

So, putting it all together:

(0.9071kg)*(1L / 0.88945kg) * (1000mL / 1L) * (1 cup / 238.58mL) = 4.27cups.

PM me, and I'll give you the shipping address where you can send some homebrew. ;)
Your math is flawed. If the SG is 1.3275, the weight has to be more than that of water, and your results show the opposite. I don't know enough about brix to density conversion to fix it.

Yuri_Rage said:
Your math is flawed. If the SG is 1.3275, the weight has to be more than that of water, and your results show the opposite. I don't know enough about brix to density conversion to fix it.

Yeah, you're right. 0.88945 is kg solids per liter. Talk about a big "doh!" Specific gravity is a ratio with respect to density of water. In order for SG to be unitless, the numerator must have the same units as the denominator, i.e. kg/L. I feel like an idiot. whew.

FWIW, When I had to add a pound of Lyle's Golden Syrup to my Old SPeckled Hen I bought it in 11 (fluid) Ounce jars.

So I weighed the jar full, poured out the syrup and re-weighed the empty jar. The delta was exaclty 1 pound.

So for my money...22 Ounces of maple syrup should be very close to 2 lbs.

Back