1st time Grower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highland_brewer

Short Circuited Brewers
Reaction score
So I am taking the plunge on growing hops for the first time this year. I am in central Ohio and already have my Rhizhomes. When is the best time to plant them? I am going to do a post and cable sytem across the back of my deck. the post will be about 16' high with a cable across the top. I wanted to plant the hops (mostly C variety) about 4-5' apart.

Thanks

Noob Brian

I live in cincinnati and plan to plant this weekend. According to the almanac, last frost day is April 16th but if you look at the forecast it is warming up into the 60s and staying there this weekend, so I would say plant at will!

Even if you have a frost it will not affect the rhizomes only the shoots that break the surface. It could take several weeks before you see a shoot appear.

My suppliers instructions were if the soil was thawed enough to dig, then plant them. Better to be in soil even if it's cold then just hangin in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back