yeast pitching question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnymagic86

Reaction score
Is it safe to brew a batch of beer and let your wort sit over night in a clean and sanatized carboy and then pitch the yeast the next day? I don't see why there would be a problem but I just wanted to ask more experienced brewers.

You're fine. Do you think brewers in ancient times even added vials of yeast to their beer? Nope. Wild yeast in the air is what gave them beer. It just took longer.

you can never completly eliminate the risk of stray microbes that's why pitching yeast right away is important, to crowd out other competitors.It might not be a problem, but its not something you want to do on a regular basis.

alane, He should be fine if everything is sanitary. I'm not sure about the exact numbers, but it would take far less bacteria colonies to overpower huge colonies of yeast by comparison... This is a risk even if you pitched the yeast immediately and is more dependent on whether or not the batch is sanitary.

Can I just say I love this forum. You guys are always so quick to answer any questions. I obvioulsy I would pitch my yeast right away if I could but I won't have it until tomorrow. Tomorrow is a busy day so I figured I have free time tonight to brew and wont have time tomorrow (or anytime this week for that matter) to make my tasty wort. I just don't want to ruin a batch of beer. My wort would only be sitting without yeast for about 12 to 15 hours? Anyway thanks for the quick responses.

No chill brewing is very popular in Australia. The wort is put into plastic cubes at near boiling temperature which additionally prevents infection from the container. It is sealed and often stored for weeks or months at ambient temperature and fermented when time is more convenient or fermentation equipment is available.

Despite much discussion on the merits of rapid chilling of wort, users of this method swear by it and do not report negative side effects.

Not sure about glass carboys as I never use glass and could see limitations on putting very hot wort into a glass carboy. If the wort is first chilled before putting it in the storage container then the risk of a rogue infection increases significantly.

Back