Fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern_Junior

Reaction score
So, I had my first closet explosion. Not fun clean up. Luckily, my carpets are being replaced next week.

However, I want to build a fermentation chamber. What I was thinking is a metal locker type that can be completely closed off. That being said, I want it in my basement. Any ideas on how to insulate it? My basement is not finished...

If you don't specifically need it to have cooling ability, a non-working chest freezer say off craigslist (probably free, if you pull it out of the person's basement) would be a great way to go.

Heat tape. Easy, reliable, and won't burn out. Otherwise go to the store and hook up an incandescent light to a temp sensor set just below ferm temps.

When I was in WI my basement stayed about the same all year long, great for ales, not perfect for lagers.
I would go with a chest freezer, working in my opinion, that way you could use a two stage controller and set it for what you want and be done with it. You would be able to lower the temps for lagers and maintain temps for ales. If something bad happens it's easy to clean out with a wet/dry vac.

Back