wow, wlp550 seems like a beast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Number68

Reaction score
pitched at ~75 wed night, 1.062og. started full force after roughly 8hrs. I noticed a LOT of airlock activity, and I know that's not USUALLY a good indicator, but I know my setup, and it's usually pretty close, and my fermenter temps were roughly 2deg above ambient, so, 69-70.

I noticed this morning my temps fell down to 66 (my ambient) and airlock activity was way down. got a thermostatically controlled heater setup to keep ambient up to 70, and went about my day. just took a grav reading, and it's down to 1.020 already, i'm aiming for a FG of 1.016, so seems like it got the majority of it done in 2 days.

and now after putting the lid back on, my airlock activity is back up. hmm. oh well. it looks like fermenting wort, smells like a spiced belgian, I think I might actually have beer.

I have only used maybe 10 different yeasts, but 550 seems the most vigorous of all...pitched a regular starter into a 1054 Abbey Ale clone..24 hours later, my airlock is on the basement floor 6 ft from my frementer while I saw a volcano lava display out the neck of the better bottle...switched off to a blowoff tube ..

Has settled down now, but I regard this as some kind of super yeast ..

Anxious to taste what super yeast has created..

haha, well luckily i didn't have that much of a mess, but I'm tempted to wash some of this yeast and save it for future batches, they definitely got the job done. I can actually see a small amount of krausen that formed on my hydro sample that's been in the fridge for 20min. go figure

I've had 550 take a beer from 1.065 to 1.010 in 28 hours. That was unusual.

It likes to be warm.

Raise temperature to finish it off.

Back