WLP500 vs WLP550

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theonetrueruss

Reaction score
Ok, so I seem to be gravitating to WLP550 for may Belgian styles. When I do it in a dark strong it confuses people with the aroma. I love the taste.

My preference is to use 550 and 500 and let it age for 6 months but I don't have that much patience all the time.

I'm thinking I'll try 500 next time I do a BDS.

What yeast do you folks prefer for a BDS?

Never tried WLP550 but I LOVE WLP500. Used it twice now. I just made a batch of The Pious (Westvleteren 12 style Ale). Tasted it right out of primary and it was fantastic! (dark fruit, malty, caramelly). Fermented between 79-82 degrees. OG was 1.09, FG was 1.012.

drkaeppel said:
Never tried WLP550 but I LOVE WLP500. Used it twice now. I just made a batch of The Pious (Westvleteren 12 style Ale). Tasted it right out of primary and it was fantastic! (dark fruit, malty, caramelly). Fermented between 79-82 degrees. OG was 1.09, FG was 1.012.

That sounds amazing, drkaeppel. I'm planning my first BDS and would welcome any tips. I'm thinking wlp500 also for the dark fruits. Did you pitch one vial or more? Starter? If so, what size?

Thanks for any advice you all can give.

For BDSs, I prefer the Westmalle (530/3787) and Rochefort (540/1762) strains. Everyone's tastes are different, though, so try some of the respective beers and see which ones you like best.

If you use 530, know that it tastes quite a bit different depending upon how it's used. Westmalle, Achel, and Westvleteren all use the same yeast, quite a bit differently, and achieve fairly different products. The same could be said for nearly any yeast, I suppose, but it's uncommon to find commercial examples of the same yeast used differently like this.

GuldTuborg said:
For BDSs, I prefer the Westmalle (530/3787) and Rochefort (540/1762) strains. Everyone's tastes are different, though, so try some of the respective beers and see which ones you like best.

If you use 530, know that it tastes quite a bit different depending upon how it's used. Westmalle, Achel, and Westvleteren all use the same yeast, quite a bit differently, and achieve fairly different products. The same could be said for nearly any yeast, I suppose, but it's uncommon to find commercial examples of the same yeast used differently like this.

Thanks, Guld!

I just had Roche 10 about an hour ago to compare with Abt 12. VERY different, in lots of ways. I think imay have to wait a little longer to do more research. This is deep water :)

I've used both the 500 and 550 in split batches of belgian pale and tripel recipes. 500 was more fruity and complex, but difficult to flocculate. 550 was cleaner (better cold crash drop out) and spicier but sort of "simple" in flavor profile.

I then tried the 570 for a Duvel clone...excellent strain there as well.

FWIW, the fermentation schedule makes all the difference with Belgian strains...ramping up temps to bring out the esters and such.

Good luck on the BDS!

Shaggyt said:
I've used both the 500 and 550 in split batches of belgian pale and tripel recipes. 500 was more fruity and complex, but difficult to flocculate. 550 was cleaner (better cold crash drop out) and spicier but sort of "simple" in flavor profile.

I then tried the 570 for a Duvel clone...excellent strain there as well.

FWIW, the fermentation schedule makes all the difference with Belgian strains...ramping up temps to bring out the esters and such.

Good luck on the BDS!

Great info! Thank you!

I read in "Brew Like a Monk" that it's wise to pitch low-ish (68?) and the let it free rise. Has that been your experience? Should I not even use use my ferm chamber?

I used WLP550 in a Belgian Blonde and while it's close to what I wanted it just came out a little too sweet. It had a lot of what I was looking for, but definitely was missing some spiciness or something you tend to get a lot from with Trappist style beers.

edit: I definitely got some banana in the aroma too

Great info! Thank you!

I read in "Brew Like a Monk" that it's wise to pitch low-ish (68?) and the let it free rise. Has that been your experience? Should I not even use use my ferm chamber?

I have not read that one though I'm sure the advice within holds more weight than mine, but that's essentially the same practice I employed with these yeasts. I used my ferm chamber (dual stage-heat & cool) to ramp up the temps upwards of 84F on the 570, just up to 80F on the 550/500 batches.

I think you'd be spot on at 68F...now I think I need to go revive some of these yeasts for you've inspired me!:rockin:

That sounds amazing, drkaeppel. I'm planning my first BDS and would welcome any tips. I'm thinking wlp500 also for the dark fruits. Did you pitch one vial or more? Starter? If so, what size?

Thanks for any advice you all can give.

I used Mr. Malty as guidance for making a starter. Being a high gravity beer, I'm sure it needed it. The starter ended up being something like 2.3 L if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Hah...So I just checked the starter calculator on the Mr. Malty website and apparantly I underpitched by quite a lot. I only used 1 vial of WLP500, so my starter SHOULD have been 5.86L. The beer still seems to be doing quite well. It's currently bottle conditioning till late December or so.

I prefer 550 and 530. I actually just did a side by side, where I split a batch and used 5 different yeasts in different fermentors. I thought I preferred 550, but I could not really be sure until I did a side by side. Two of 5 yeasts were 500 and 550. I am not a huge fruity/banana beer fan, I lean towards a more spicy character. Here is the post on it if anyone is interested.

http://grainandgrain.com/2011/10/09/belgian-yeast-experiment/

Latest posts

Back