Summit Porter Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GordonT

Reaction score
This is a beer my wife demands I keep in the house. I accidently got the recipe from an assistant brewer at Summit Brewing in Minneapolis. I've changed it very slightly since then.

OG 1060 - 1065
FG 1015

13 lbs Hugh Bairds
1 lb of Chocolate malt
1 lb of 120 Crystal

3/4 oz. Cascade in a 90 minute boil
1 oz Cascade at 30
1 oz Cascade at 15

I will sometimes throw in a bit more Cascade at 5. The original recipe called for all hop additions to be 1/2 Cascade and 1/2 Fuggles.

I ferment with Wyeast Scottish yeast.

Mashing schedule is 150 for 30 minutes, raised to 160 for the last 15.

I used to make this beer with Black Patent malt but switched to Chocolate a while back and now prefer this variation.

The combination of sweet malt, floral hop nose married with the burnt taste of Chocolate malt makes this a really nice Porter. Even people who don't usually like 'nasty' dark beer enjoy the elegance of this one.

I hate to be annoying, but I love this beer and am hoping to make it soon. Would you mind sharing your efficiency and batch size for this?

Thanks!

I hate to be annoying, but I love this beer and am hoping to make it soon. Would you mind sharing your efficiency and batch size for this?

Thanks!

My batch size works out to about 5.5 gallons. Not sure how to rate my efficiency but.. the OG on this one is typically 1065.

holy pound of C120!

I used to be afraid of C120 also :) The owner, Mark Stutrud, is the person who told that they had moved to C120 from, I believe, C80? or 90. For the longest time I wouldn't try it but when I bit the bullet and brewed with it no monsters jumped out. In fact there is not much difference except perhaps a mild increase in flavour.

This is really a very elegant beer with nothing at all jumping out to hit your flavour buds too hard.

I just brewed a batch based on this recipe (I had to make a couple minor substitutions due to what ingredients I had on hand) right now. I plan to pitch Jolly Pumpkin dregs into 1 gallon and keg the rest. I'll let you know how it turns out, but I have a feeling it's going to be great.

I know I sound like a total noob, but I've never heard of Hugh Bairds malt. What is it? Is there a more common substitute that would be close?

How much black patent malt did you use? I've made this twice now and would like to try the black malt addition. That is what I detect in the original Summit Porter.

Latest posts

Back