wlp550 temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdb185

Reaction score
i'm doing a la chouffe clone in a few days and i plan on pitching some wlp550 i washed from my last batch. even though i have a freezer with a ranco on it, i still seem to have trouble finding the right temp(s) to ferment at. i've searched and haven't come up with much other than the white labs suggestion of 68F-78F. some say at the top end, some say at the bottom end, some say to pitch in the middle and let the yeast warm up as it wishes. the belgian pale ale i did with this yeast a few weeks ago seems to have a decent balance between bubble gum and banana, but it just doesn't seem quite right (set at 72F for duration). the yeast flavor is fine, but just too pronounced (if that makes sense).

can i get some suggestions on how to ferment this batch so i might finally make a beer i really like?

Want to know know what the brewer at Achouffe told me? 26 ºC :eek:

Thats too hard to control for my set-up so I use 24 ºC --> 75f

Want to know know what the brewer at Achouffe told me? 26 ºC :eek:

Thats too hard to control for my set-up so I use 24 ºC --> 75f

is that with wlp550? do you set it at 75f and leave it, or do you pitch low and let it rise to 75f? in other words, do i tape my probe to the fermenter and set that at 75f, or do i set the ambient temp at 65-68 and let the yeast naturally raise the temp to ~75f?

Back