Secondary Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rporter

Reaction score
I just transfered my Honey Weizen to the secondary after a week in the primary. The airlock activity had dropped below 1 bpm and the FG was at 1.012 which was right on par with the directions that came with the kit. The OG started at 1.056. A few hours after transferring I noticed the airlock was bubbling at a much quicker rate and the krausen had come back up and started to get into it. This is only my second brew so I'm not sure if this is normal or what might have happened. What do you guys think?

:drunk:

You may have roused the yeast a little bit when you racked, woken them up. No big deal. It needs a couple weeks of conditioning, anyway, so just let it be, let it finish up and you should be good.

At 1.012, I don't think it will ferment for very long, you already have 78% attenuation. (Probably done by now) Does it actually have honey in it or did it use honey malt?

homebrewer_99 said:
I'd agree that it's done and ready to bottle.;)

You wouldn't leave it in the secondary for another week to age? Honest question, I know you're this kind of beer is right up your alley.

david_42 said:
At 1.012, I don't think it will ferment for very long, you already have 78% attenuation. (Probably done by now) Does it actually have honey in it or did it use honey malt?

I used 2lbs of honey.

the_bird said:
You wouldn't leave it in the secondary for another week to age? Honest question, I know you're this kind of beer is right up your alley.
I see your point.:D He didn't say if it was a Hefe Weizen or not. We all know that HWs don't require a secondary since you want the yeast in suspension (cloudy).

As long as the attentuation is around 75% then it's done fermenting. Some people are not willing/wanting to wait for weeks to drink their brews, so technically it's ready to bottle.

If his Honey Weizen is an American-style then I would recommend a secondary for clearing since floating yeast is not desired for the style.

If it were mine I would probably go for 3 weeks in the secondary, but I've also done 30 days in the primary. Then again, I am patient.:D

Back