Water pump for Chilling using an Immersion Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
There are two different threads that have been going that have been hijacked to pumps to use for Immersion Chilling. Since this is a hot topic now I will post a specific topic on it to make my recommendations and hopefully be found for future reference.

Here is the pump I use
http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

It is a 325 gallons per minute pump that cost $50. Its about the size of my two hands balled together, and has a 16' cord. All the pumps have two values its Gallons per minute and something like pressure head of lift, the amount it will pump the water above the level the pumps is on. As the pump lifts the water higher the GPH goes down.

Here is how i use it.
I place my Immersion Chiller (IC) into the boil 20 minutes before the end.

I run faucet water through the IC until it gets around 100 degrees.

I then take a smallish cooler filled with ice and some water.

I attach one of the hoses from the IC to the output of the pump.

I place the Pump into the ice water filled cooler.

I place the other side of the IC hose into the cooler.

Plug in the pump and watch your wort temps drop.

Total time is less than 15 minutes to get a 5 gallon boil down to pitching temps for an ale.

I usually place the cooler with pump at the same level as the Kettle and this thing cranks cold water through the system and cools the wort fast. You could get by with a smaller pump as long as you do not need to raise the level of water too high. One other trick is to stir the wort with a sanitized spoon or jiggle the IC cooler to get the cold wort next to the IC to exchange with the hot wort elsewhere in the kettle. Or for the equipment enhanced: you can have a March pump create a circulation with the pump of the wort so it cools very quickly across the iced IC.

f916d8f0-1d1b-41e1-968d-e81e963b163d_300.jpg

Latest posts

Back