Can I use this stone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You usually want to use a stainless steel, food-grade stone for this purpose. No way of telling if that stone is food-grade, or even what it's made of...

Northern Brewer has the SS type:

image_1909.jpg

http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/catalogsearch/result/?q=stone

It might be ok if you have a VERY good filter before the stone. The stone I use with an aquarium pump is .5 micron after a in line hepa filter. With out that, your at much greater risk of pushing wee beasties from the air into your wort.

My plan was to hook it up to an Oxygen cylinder that is part of my cutting torch rig. So the Oxygen is in a rented bottle from a welding supply store. I have a small filter that I use to blow in when creating a siphon but I dont think that qualifies as a really good filter.
There seems to be too many unknowns here for me to chance ruining a batch.
Thanks!

I have been using the same stones for almost a year. I soak the stone and the hose in star-san for a few then into the wort. They work very well.

Thats good to know. They are very inexpensive. I plan to buy the stone from Morebeer and attach it to my therm manifold that I bought from them.
I just thought I could give it a try. Still not sure about the Welding Supply oxygen though....

Only because I have yet to see any info saying it is ok or that it needs to be filtered. Have you used it? Can I just sanitize the hose and stone and hook it right to the Oxygen tank?

Your welding oxygen tank will work fine. I'm using stones from Petco, they work great, you don't need a filter if you're oxygenating from an oxygen tank. You do need a filter if you're using an air pump.

About two minutes or so of bubbles should be close and you'll get a lot of foam when you do this.

Good Luck...

Only because I have yet to see any info saying it is ok or that it needs to be filtered. Have you used it? Can I just sanitize the hose and stone and hook it right to the Oxygen tank?

There is physically no difference between the O2 in a medical cylinder and and industrial cylinder, the medical grade is tested to FDA standards, the product comes out of the same liquid bulk tank. If you look at my photos you can see my setup in-use. I worked at a welding distributor for 8 years or so, filed a few cylinder in my day.

Back