Combining Citrusy & Earthy Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carp

Reaction score
I'm a new brewer (3 AG batches so far) planning for Sunday's brew. I love SNPA, Celebration, Two-Hearted, etc. I consider Bass Ale to be okay. I have in inventory Centennial, Cascade, Magnum, Perle, and East Kent Goldings.

With that background, is there any merit to using a bit of Fuggles or EKG as a flameout hop in an ale primarily utilizing Centennial, Cascade, etc.

For Sunday's brew I'm planning something with about 1.050 OG, 40-50 IBU, using 2-row pale and Crystal 60.

the other way around I really like. I am prone to using heaps of nobles for my early additions and then just a relative pinch of high alpha USA C for the late adds.

Commercial exemplar is Firestone-Walker Pale Ale. I love that stuff.

Reversing that will probably be something that some folks really like and others don't. FWIW some folks really like F-W Pale and some don't.

I would try it HBU for HBU on a proven, mild grain bill like EdWort's haus and seewhat happens. It will be beer for sure.

I did a pale ale experiment recently with Centennial as the bittering hops and a variety for dry hops, one of which was Goldings. That one turned out to be a delicious ESB. That might not be what you're looking for, though.

Back