Bottling Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfohio

Reaction score
I have a question related to bottling temperature. I have a beer that fermented at 56 for 3 weeks. However, I'm going to cold crash it for a couple days then bottle it. I'm using Beersmith to help find the priming sugar amount. My assumption is to still use the 56 degree temperature as a basis for how much sugar I should use. I figure co2 can't increase in the solution at this stage.

Is this a correct assumption?

Use the temperature the beer will be at the time of bottling for the calculator. I used to get confused by this also.
could you better explain why you use this method to calculate? The way i'm understanding this is that dfohio wants to bottle with cold crash temp and let temp rise to 56* for 3 weeks.

could you better explain why you use this method to calculate? The way i'm understanding this is that dfohio wants to bottle with cold crash temp and let temp rise to 56* for 3 weeks.

You've misread it, he's had the beer at 56 for 3 weeks.

He's then going to cold crash it.....after that he needs to bottle carb it at 70 degrees or higher for it to carb and condition....(or room temp, but it will take longer.)

But to calculate the amount of sugar you need to reach the level of carbonation desired, you use the monograph in Palmer, or most of us use our brewing software, and imput the temp at the tie we are priming...

I would personally after cold crashing leave it at room temp over night or 24 hours to stabalise the temp... SO the next day I would (and have) take a temp reading of the beer, then run the numbers.

Thanks for the replies. It is confusing though because the co2 can't increase during a cold crash right? Co2 can only come out of solution once temperature increases?

I would personally after cold crashing leave it at room temp over night or 24 hours to stabalise the temp... SO the next day I would (and have) take a temp reading of the beer, then run the numbers.

This is what I have decided to do.

Back