Fondue date suggestions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Guess I need a fondue pot.

I have, in the past made some fantastic cheese fondue. A little worcestershire and butter, along with whatever is in the cheese drawer.

I am now (thanks to a good friend of mine named creamy something or other;)) planning a simple but gourmet fondue date.

Enlighten me oh my bretheren!!!!!

I was well rewarded on the Antipasto thread. Far better than ANY google results.:mug:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Three-Cheese-Fondue-with-Champagne-104710

This recipe totally got me lucky. Of course, she chose the cheese and I was married to her at the time, but those are just details.

Here's where the foodie stuff comes in... instead of just bread and veggies you can also have cured meats and even black pudding (a favorite of mine) to dunk.

OR, you can deepfry or bake little balls of your pizza dough for added texture...

Thanks AZ!

I have dough left creamy.....the frybread was a hit. It is so much better fresh though!!!!!

My wife and I love to make fondue at home.
As for the cheese, I like a mixture of cheddar and swiss. I made the mistake one time of buying a Swiss I had never used before. It ended up not fully melting and mixing with the cheddar, so I learned to make sure the Swiss melts good before using it in fondue. And don't forget the Worcestershire and a splash of beer in it.
We like to dip veggies, both dark and Jewish rye, and green apples.
For a main course I mix up some beef stock and red wine(you could use beer instead). For this we cut up chicken, beef, shrimp, and small cubes of potatoes, and mushrooms. If your fondue pot can maintain a good temperature, it really doesn't take that long for the meat to cook in the broth. As long as you put another piece on as you take the cooked piece off, there's not much waiting.
I still haven't worked on a dessert course yet.

tampa bay brewing co does a smore's fondue dessert-... it is amazing! i'm sure you could look up the ingrediants online lmao!

You could even do a beer cheese fondue, ehh? Just try to make sure the cheese(s) you select melts well and doesn't smell like feet and ass.

Beer cheese fondue is awesome. I prefer Swiss. Sausages, oh yeah. Finish the deal with chocolate fondue.

Get an electric one, way easier to control temperatures, you've got to fiddle with it as you eat the goodies up.

I just want to note that the wifepiece and I just do fondue on the stovetop in a regular pot. It goes pretty fast at table.

Of course, we arent trying to impress each other any more. ;)

This is an extremely classic and very good recipe. http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cheese_fondue/ Ive made it a few times and its delicious, and exactly what I want when I'm thinking fondue.

For dipping, make sure you get a couple kinds of delicious breads. One of my other favorites is oven roasted fingerling potatoes with lots of sea salt. Granny smith apples are nice to lighten it up.

Definitely make a chocolate fondue for dessert. Pound cake cubes are AWESOME to dip in it. The best thing to dip in it is her body parts though..:D

This is an extremely classic and very good recipe. http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cheese_fondue/ Ive made it a few times and its delicious, and exactly what I want when I'm thinking fondue.

For dipping, make sure you get a couple kinds of delicious breads. One of my other favorites is oven roasted fingerling potatoes with lots of sea salt. Granny smith apples are nice to lighten it up.

Definitely make a chocolate fondue for dessert. Pound cake cubes are AWESOME to dip in it. The best thing to dip in it is her body parts though..:D

I agree that a classic fondue is never a bad idea, I just liked the idea of champagne fondue for a date. The rest of the bottle goes into the flutes :)

CreamyGoodness said:
I agree that a classic fondue is never a bad idea, I just liked the idea of champagne fondue for a date. The rest of the bottle goes into the flutes :)

How about a champagne sabayon for dessert. Once it's finished, transfer to fondue pot to stay warm. Dip berries, apple, pear, shortbread etc. and drink the rest of the champagne with it.

How about a champagne sabayon for dessert. Once it's finished, transfer to fondue pot to stay warm. Dip berries, apple, pear, shortbread etc. and drink the rest of the champagne with it.

Whattaya tryin to one-up me?? :ban:

That sounds like a great idea. Its the kind of dessert I would actually eat. :rockin:

CreamyGoodness said:
Whattaya tryin to one-up me?? :ban:

That sounds like a great idea. Its the kind of dessert I would actually eat. :rockin:

Yes, yes I am. ;)
I thought your champagne fondue idea is great.
And then it made me think of sabayon for fondue.
So I was just following your same line of thought.
So actually, if you think about it, it was your idea.
Good idea Creamy!! :D

Or you can say forget fondue and do what I did.

I ordered these for our anniversary today.
So guess what's for dinner tonight.

image-3668339562.jpg

Edit: Sorry Creamy, they're from Chicago, not New York. ;)

OR, you can deepfry balls for added texture...

That is just wrong Creamy. Wait at LEAST until the 4th date to fry your balls, Cheezy.

Or you can say forget fondue and do what I did.

I ordered these for our anniversary today.
So guess what's for dinner tonight.

View attachment 116080

Edit: Sorry Creamy, they're from Chicago, not New York. ;)

Pizza fail. Lou Malnati's for the win. Sorry. :D

HawksBrewer said:

We didn't get the chance to try Lou Malnati's while in Chicago. Kind of a bummer, I heard its really good too. Maybe next time. My wife loved Giordano's and has been wanting it again so I surprised her with them.

CreamyGoodness said:
Allowances must be made at times ;)

There's plenty of things I'd love to have from New York. The two biggest are New York style pizza(of course) and a Nathan's hot dog.

There's plenty of things I'd love to have from New York. The two biggest are New York style pizza(of course) and a Nathan's hot dog.

Both are worthwhile endevours. I give Chicago a lot of crap but good Chicago pizza is on my list of things to try. I sure hope its not like the "Chicago-style" pizza I had in Connecticut once, or my teasing is justified.

Even more New York these days, if you ask me, are the shawarma (preferably from Ali Babba's in NYU-Land) and souvlaki skewers. I have had both in other places (even other countries) and there is something distictive about the New York version.

That is just wrong Creamy. Wait at LEAST until the 4th date to fry your balls, Cheezy.

:off:

Really wanted to say this....but held back.

As for the big three IMO its Lou's, Gino's not far behind, and giordanos quite a ways away.

Pequods is also a favorite.

CreamyGoodness said:
Both are worthwhile endevours. I give Chicago a lot of crap but good Chicago pizza is on my list of things to try. I sure hope its not like the "Chicago-style" pizza I had in Connecticut once, or my teasing is justified.

Even more New York these days, if you ask me, are the shawarma (preferably from Ali Babba's in NYU-Land) and souvlaki skewers. I have had both in other places (even other countries) and there is something distictive about the New York version.

I had "Chicago style" pizza in Hawaii one time. Worst experience ever! Nothing like the real deal.

I am here!!!

Good question creamy...how can I put this?.....

Last night. Awesome mex restaraunt. They have this amazing habanero mango sauce...SPICY.

I take huge dallop onto my tongue....savouring.....

She leans in and well....you get it. HOT in every sense of the word. Dear god.

I am here!!!

Good question creamy...how can I put this?.....

Last night. Awesome mex restaraunt. They have this amazing habanero mango sauce...SPICY.

I take huge dallop onto my tongue....savouring.....

She leans in and well....you get it. HOT in every sense of the word. Dear god.

Just be careful cutting up chile's and then fooling around. Certain places can surprisingly get too hot.

I found this out the hard way, apparently it's not just my girlfriends taste buds that dont like spicy food. :drunk:

Back