First time making mead....do i need to double pitch dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
SO I am about to get the mead kit from AHB and there is an opton for double pitching yeast. I am going with the dry champagne yeast. I know when making beer I don't need to double pitch dry yeast but sometimes need to double pitch liquid yeast if i don't make a starter. SHould I double pitch dry yeast when making mead? Or is this option just for liquid yeast? Thanks

It IS an option, but not a necessity. If you have proper nutrients, you should be fine, and with staggered Nutrient Additions, you'll be better than fine. If it makes you feel better, the extra $1.58 for an extra pack of yeast is nice insurance, and NOT going to hurt a thing!

It IS an option, but not a necessity. If you have proper nutrients, you should be fine, and with staggered Nutrient Additions, you'll be better than fine. If it makes you feel better, the extra $1.58 for an extra pack of yeast is nice insurance, and NOT going to hurt a thing!

Ok thanks. I will spend an extra buck to make sure a 60 dollar kit is done right :mug:

I think for a 5gal batch you should pitch two packets of yeast. It is not necessary but I think the pitching rate is much better when using 2 packets. Remember that wine yeast comes in 5g packets not the 11g packets that beer yeast comes in. So the cell count is already much lower and you are usually pitching them into a very high gravity must compared to beer worts.

Also be sure to look up the instructions on using GoFerm for rehydration and the staggered nutrient additions. I think both techniques really help to produce better results.

Craig

I would tend to agree. When my mead OG is in the 1.100-1.130 range I'll use 10g of dry yeast. From 1.130-1.150 - 15g, and above that 20g... FWIW, I rarely (one time) make a mead whose OG is below 1.100. :)

Im really new to Mead brewing. Can someone explain to me the pros and cons and tech info on multiple yeast pitchings?

Im really new to Mead brewing. Can someone explain to me the pros and cons and tech info on multiple yeast pitchings?

When you pitch multiple packets of yeast, you pitch more yeast cells. Higher gravity musts have more food for the yeast and stress the yeast more resulting in a higher mortality and slower growth. Pitching more yeast is an attempt to keep the fermentation schedule more consistent and with less lag. Nearly all guides to brewing base the ideal pitch rate on the volume and gravity of the must/wort.

Craig

Thanks CB!

Id like to make a high alcohol dessert Mead. Ive heard you may need to add more honey at a certain stage....would this be at the first racking or later perhaps im missing a step all together?

I agree as well with CB. I do use only 1 packet of 5g yeast for my 1 gallon batches..but the ones that are 5 gallons I use at least 2....and for the Blueberry Melomel that I started a number of weeks back..I actually pitched 3 packets just to be sure of a good, solid start.

Dan

Back