Filling a nitch for your growl needs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brent1769

Reaction score
So where I live there are plenty of breweries
Only problem is most places will NOT fill blank growls. And the way the roads here are set up it can take 15-30 minutes just to get to a brewery 4 miles down the road.
I want to open a growl house. Much like a tap house/room where I can bring as many beers and breweries as possible to fill all growls blank or not and provide an area for tasting as well. It so you can go to one place to get fresh year round brews and seasonal brews that are hard to find in stores. The plan would be to have 30-60 rotating taps. I got this idea from my home town which is much much smaller about 10 times smaller and they have 2 locations 40 taps at one location 32 at the other. I'm just trying to get some help and ideas to write a successful business plan to utilize my VA small business loan.

I've never been to a place that won't fill a growler because it was blank, or even one that required that you have their growler to fill for that matter. Thats just insane.

First off - growler. Not growl.

A lot of places I've been too (notably in PA and ME) will not fill blank growlers or growlers with other brands on them.

A lot of this will depend on the state and local laws, but I have seen places that do this. One place in NJ has a bar where they serve pints, fill growlers, and also have a decent selection of bottles and cans, wines and spirits. State laws vary DRASTICALLY in how sales like this are handled. That would be a good place to start.

Back