Scotch Ales-all about the peat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
So I've read plenty on here about people's aversion to Scotch Ales, as well as some positive comments. I've perused some recipes (haven't brewed one), and noticed the peat smoked malt as a common ingredient.

When I try new beers, I like to taste it myself before reading any reviews-just to see how my take compares to others'. Last night I picked up a 6 of Magic hat's 'Jinx'-After one drink, the peat smoke really jumped out at me-it tasted very similar to Scotch whiskey. Sure enough, when I read some reviews, this was the style assigned to it (Scotch/Wee Heavy).

While it was good, I don't think I could drink several in one sitting...and this is from someone who enjoys a good 18 year old single malt. Is this peat flavor the reason for such mixed feelings on Scotch Ales?

Not sure, I love scotch ales, but can't stand Scotch whiskey. lol..

In fact I have a 60 shilling scotch ale in the secondary right now. It had a small amount of peated grains. Like 2-3 ozs. I think the toughest part with Scotch ales is that they normally have very low hop-iness to combat the high residual sweetness and thicker texture. So they are generally a bit heavy (and 8% ABV can wear you down quick).

Hoping the 60 shilling comes out right. I was looking for the smokiness and rich-creaminess without the really heavy alcohol levels that make the heavier scotch ales so hard to drink.

I'll post the recipe if its any good.

Techically, peated malt should *not* be in scotch ales, it's an American bastardization of the style (at least as per Jamil, who I generally trust on these matters).

If you're a fan of the Jinx... well, that makes one of you ;)

Chairman Cheyco said:
Peat-smoked malt is not where the smokiness comes from in scotch ales. It comes from the yeast. Get the right one, and you'll be okay.

What are some good ones? I'd love to try a good example before I decide to brew one.

Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast. This yeast will throw the slightly smokey flavor... also include some roasted barley in your recipe.

Wee Beast is good - got it in Raleigh, NC - at least I think it was a scotch ale, quite nice

I just posted a few days ago to see if anyone else had tried - no one replied to my post so I guess the answer was no

matt

Jamil be damned! ;) I like a good smokey Scotch Ale like Traquair House or Douglas/Gordon Scotch. Be careful though, a little peat goes along way. I use 6 oz. in a 10 gallon batch of Brigadoon.

Brewtopia said:
Jamil be damned! I like a good smokey Scotch Ale like Traquair House or Douglas/Gordon Scotch. Be careful though, a little peat goes along way. I use 6 oz. in a 10 gallon batch of Brigadoon.

I think Ray Daniels warns against it, too ;)

I don't mind a LITTLE peat malt, but yeah - you don't need (or want) much. The aromatics can be good, but you don't really want to taste it. My smoked porter used two ounces in five gallons, which was plenty (when it gets re-brewed, I'll use rauchmalt instead, though).

I use 4 oz. of peated malt in my Scotch Ale (1.76% of the total grain bill). I think that it helps mask the strong alcohol in the finish and while it may be an American bastardization, I think that it lends itself very well to the style.

Brewtopia said:
Jamil be damned! I like a good smokey Scotch Ale like Traquair House or Douglas/Gordon Scotch. Be careful though, a little peat goes along way. I use 6 oz. in a 10 gallon batch of Brigadoon.

If you like Traquir house try Skotrats clone, a wonderful beer(no peated malt)

http://www.skotrat.com/skotrat/recipes.cfm

just look under Scottish ales

BrewDey said:
What are some good ones? I'd love to try a good example before I decide to brew one.

I have brewed Jamils Scottish Ale several times with Wyeast 1056. You get a hint of smokiness without any peated malt. In Scotland they reserve the peated malt for brewing whiskey... not beer. As homebrewers we can do whatever we like but if you want to try an authentic version leave out the peated malt and savour the malt flavours.

GT

Back