SWMBO's way of Saying "Get the Hell Out of My Kitchen!!!"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am currently PM'ing right now in the Kitchen. A rather large PM at 7lbs of grain and 5 lbs of LLME. So, I was in the middle of adding water to my 2nd Portion of my Batch Sparge, and SWMBO asks, "What ever happened to all that All Grain Stuff you bought?" Hmmmm, I thought. It's all in the basement and Garage, waiting to be assembled, Kegs need to be cut, Ball Valves need to be put on, yadda yadda yadda. "Well, you'd think with the money you spent, you'd be in the Garage by now with all that cool AG stuff you bought." Yes dear.

So, I have been ordered to get off mah Arse and get the hell out of the Kitchen. Life is GOODA!!!:mug:

"If you insist, dear!" :D

Personally, I still like to mash in the kitchen. The temp is consistent year-round, so I don't have to futz with trying to adjust for 30° ambient grain and equipment temps versus 80°. For all my issues with brewing, I'm pretty good at hitting strike temps with single infusion mashes as long as those variables are neutralized. The stove is strong enough to heat strike and sparge water. The coffee machine's there (I usually brew early in the morning). I have one of those folding sawhorse/table thingies from the Depot that I set up, I leave the mash tun on, then bring outside when I'm done sparging.

Outside is so much better. I can spill all I want and don't have to worry about clean up. :D

the_bird said:
"If you insist, dear!" :D

Personally, I still like to mash in the kitchen. The temp is consistent year-round, so I don't have to futz with trying to adjust for 30° ambient grain and equipment temps versus 80°. For all my issues with brewing, I'm pretty good at hitting strike temps with single infusion mashes as long as those variables are neutralized. The stove is strong enough to heat strike and sparge water. The coffee machine's there (I usually brew early in the morning). I have one of those folding sawhorse/table thingies from the Depot that I set up, I leave the mash tun on, then bring outside when I'm done sparging.

A Local Brew Date would be GEEERRRRRRRRREAT!!!

RLinNH said:
A Local Brew Date would be GEEERRRRRRRRREAT!!!

We just had a get-together last weekend, too bad you missed it! Keep your eyes peeled for "Yankee Ingenuity" gatherings, that's the name for these completely informal get-togethers.

the_bird said:
We just had a get-together last weekend, too bad you missed it! Keep your eyes peeled for "Yankee Ingenuity" gatherings, that's the name for these completely informal get-togethers.

need to rename those gatherings to "Red Sox Gatherings". Anything with the word Yankee in it, and I am outskeeeees. :fro:

RLinNH said:
need to rename those gatherings to "Red Sox Gatherings". Anything with the word Yankee in it, and I am outskeeeees. :fro:

Think...

windowslivewriterthenewyankeeprogrammer-146f70tourphoto13.jpg

(I was pushing for "Brew Yankee Workshop" at one point, but YI seems to have stuck).

I told my swmbo that if she actually cooked once in a while, I would try to keep the kitchen clean. Somehow that didn't go over like I planned, which was for her to suddenly start making me dinner, after which I wouldn't mind cleaning up brewing mess. It ended up her being mad and me having to drive 45 minutes to my friends house to brew in peace.

oh well

mike

That was the primary reason for my brew room in the basement - it stays to a consistant 65 degrees unless we are brewing and then it is Friggen Humid!

After sucking up the kitchen for 2 years in our apartment, we bought our house and my wife said I could have some space in the basement for brewing. Little did she know it turned into 2 batches every two weeks.

I am loving the fact that I can brew whenever I want now and the only thing I have to worry about is if I am being to loud in the brew room as it is right below my oldest daughters room.

Brewmeister Jeff said:
That was the primary reason for my brew room in the basement - it stays to a consistant 65 degrees unless we are brewing and then it is Friggen Humid!

After sucking up the kitchen for 2 years in our apartment, we bought our house and my wife said I could have some space in the basement for brewing. Little did she know it turned into 2 batches every two weeks.

I am loving the fact that I can brew whenever I want now and the only thing I have to worry about is if I am being to loud in the brew room as it is right below my oldest daughters room.

What kind of Ventilation do you have in your Brew Room? Do you have some sort of commercial Fan mounted into the cieling? Only reason I ask is that I am thinking that next Spring, After I build the Shed, I'm building a Brew Room in the Basement.

the_bird said:
Think...

windowslivewriterthenewyankeeprogrammer-146f70tourphoto13.jpg

(I was pushing for "Brew Yankee Workshop" at one point, but YI seems to have stuck).

Sorry to highjack this thread. How far are you away from Boston? What exit are you off the pike?

Funny, I was in the Garage this evening making my lines on a keg to be cut, and I got to visualizing my Brewery in the Garage. Man, I can not wait to be in the Garage!!!:mug: :ban:

Bulls Beers said:
Sorry to highjack this thread. How far are you away from Boston? What exit are you off the pike?

The LAST one... then drive another hour!

Seriously, way in the NW corner of the state, one town over from both NY and VT.

the_bird said:
The LAST one... then drive another hour!

Seriously, way in the NW corner of the state, one town over from both NY and VT.

How do you like it up there? What are you like 45min from Bennington?

Soulive21 said:
How do you like it up there? What are you like 45min from Bennington?

Just about. I grew up just north of Bennington, folks still live up in Shaftsbury. I like it a lot, it's a nice, quiet little area we're in.

the_bird said:
Just about. I grew up just north of Bennington, folks still live up in Shaftsbury. I like it a lot, it's a nice, quiet little area we're in.

SWMBO and I talk about heading north eventually. I want near Burlington but that's too far for her. Maybe we'll check out your area...

Burlington is nothing like Bennington at all. Burlington's pretty incredible, actually; I'd love to move up there, but I'm doing very well at work and I'd hate to leave the position I've carved out for myself. Bennington (and Adams/North Adams) are much smaller, rural-type communities, Burlington's a little metropolis.

But it you ever want to come up and see the area, let me know and I'll show you around!

the_bird said:
Burlington is nothing like Bennington at all. Burlington's pretty incredible, actually; I'd love to move up there, but I'm doing very well at work and I'd hate to leave the position I've carved out for myself. Bennington (and Adams/North Adams) are much smaller, rural-type communities, Burlington's a little metropolis.

But it you ever want to come up and see the area, let me know and I'll show you around!

Yeah I've been to Bennington. I went to college in VT for two semesters and I've loved it ever since. I agree Burlington really is incredible. We're going up there in 4 weeks actually. SWMBO wants to live in "main street USA" which is nice, but I like some ruralness myself. I'll definitely look you up if I'm in the area. Cheers...

I'm pretty close to B-town, and likely wouldn't consider moving away from "the city" without moving away from Vermont. I love it up here, but sometimes you just need civilization!

Back