Limoncello cream ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elixir

Reaction score
My wife wants me to make a beer that light in color and tastes like limoncello. I am sure I will get a mash tun and stuff for all grain brewing for christmas and I am planning on trying this for my first AG batch. I have done some reading and it seems like I am going to take the lemon zest at flamout/ sorachi ace for aroma and dry hop strategy. But to achieve the creaminess I plan on using lactose sugar. Is this a bad idea? will it be too cloying sweet/gross?

Lemon cello if that's what your refereeing to is made with grain, lemon peals, and simple sugar. With that said:
Basic ale recipe and add lemon peals (10 mins at the end of boil), mash high at about 158. Add grain into the secondary. I have only ever used Lactose in a stout not sure how that would work in this case.

Perhaps you could add a creamy mouthfeel by using some oats in there? I hear they can contribute creaminess in a beer without significant flavor. Just what I've heard though. My experience with alternate grains is mainly limited to rye which also can lead to a thicker mouthfeel.

Back