New to brewing, going to keg, where would you start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr x

Reaction score
I'm starting my kegging project with a sanyo 4912 and at least 2 Cornelius type kegs (hopefully I can source them cheap in Nova Scotia - any advice welcome).

I have never made beer (just wine and shine), so I'm curious what type of beer you would start with. Here's a list of what I like:

Keith's IPA
Leffe Blonde, most blond in general (Beulle Guelle, MacAuslan)
London Porter, Guinness, Kilkenny, Boddingtons

Those are some general beers I would buy at the liquor store. I have had microbrewed blueberry beer that was most excellent, and Rickards White is very good as well for the summer (citrus like and cloudy, a little stronger citrus than Hooegarden).

Are the kits any good for what I want to do? Or should I look at from scratch recipes? I have no problem with either, but I'd like something hard to #&*$ up for my first run.

Should I use a front door tap instead of a tower?

I always hate giving advice but here you go cause you are desperate. I would start with a thick beer, porter/stout would be perfect. You can mask alot of problems that may come about with the amount of strong tastes...light beer is thin and easy to taste your beginning mis-steps. I use promash and stick to BJCP styles. Google both, promash will help you formulate brews to fit in the 27-28 different styles of beer. I you are buying kits and making extract(liquid malt cans/dry malt packs) then hold off until you do all-grain. But for allgrain this program really helps.
Kegging...my advice is to post a thread over on the kegging section and see if you get some bites.
Cheers and good luck.
If you get stuck you can email me direct at [email protected]
VermVerm

My first beer was an Oatmeal Stout and probably one of my best to date. You can't really screw up a stout easily. Good Luck!:mug:

Back