What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Contacted my source for pint + 9oz bottles (urban chestnut bottles) and got the hook up Monday through Friday. (He said Saturday they'd be so busy they'd just be throwing them in the trash and not be able to save them) got to love wineries that have a homebrewer at heart [emoji106]🏻

I traveled to the LHBS to rack my Marzen to a secondary (he is good about letting us "borrow" his fermentation chamber for lagering), bought various and sundry needs for homebrewing, helped my bro bottle his milk stout.

Brewed up a 5-gallon batch of Uncle James Brown Ale, and drilled holes in both of my Speidel (30L & 20L) lids and installed grommets and thermowells. Good times.

Stepped up my 3068 starter for this weekend's hefeweizen and added gelatin to my newly-kegged Dusseldorf altbier.

Put some labels on for sharing this HB Marris Otter Mosaic SMaSH

image.jpg

Pitched yeast in a beer made last night. I didn't use my hop spider and blocked up my plate chiller and/or pump. Had to let it chill overnight in the fermentation chamber.
On the bright side I finally used my Brewer's hardware sanke keg fermntor kit.
Getting the spear out took longer than I thought.
Haven't brewed since fall 2015. Brewery was beyond a dirty mess and I had to clean literally everything before I started. Felt good to get it up and running again even tho I failed lol
I made a Lawson's sip of sunshine clone and forgot to add dextrose during the boil. I dumped it in a couple minutes after flameout (around 190°) during 30 minute whirlpool for last hop addition. Think it'll be ok?
Super happy with the kit and using a keg to ferment in. For me it's ideal to ferment 10 gallons

Getting 2 cart loads of old, dirty bottles rinsed, soaked & scrubbed while cleaning man cave/brewery today. Wanna brew the Mumme' finally this weekend, since Friday is retiree payday. Gotta get Version 4 of Hopped & Confused done for book two of my home brewing series. I'm a little late on spring cleaning this year...

Yeah, brewing one while searching for a lost one. I still have the link for Big Al's prohibition bootleg lager. still cleaning bottles & everything else for Saturday brew day. Like to start in the morning to finish earlier. gotta check my HB stash today to fridge some for the 4th...

Gotta finish up the man cave today to make room for brewing tomorrow. Gonna make a fresh bucket of PBW to start removing labels I'm going to save for framing. They'd take up less space on the walls than the bottles. Besides having extras to trade for other stuff.

Kegged my chinook s-hop APA. Burst carbed some using carb caps. Tasting pretty tangy and bright.

Shipped entries to two competitions and prepared some more for another to be dropped off at the homebrew store tomorrow. 34 bottles shipped with 30 doing off tomorrow.

Hopefully I have some winners in the bunch. My tamarind rye sour got first recently and my Flanders second in a different one (honorable mention in the one the rye got 1st). Want my clean beers to do as well as my sours.

Finished the heating element housing for the HLT and started cutting holes in the control panel for the lights/switches/etc

Called my LHBS to make sure they have my ingredients for next weeks brew...first IPA and called my brew partner to make sure he could brew...he can

Making a starter for my IPA with wlp090, San Diego Super. Was thinking of Nottingham also because its clean and strong.

picked up some Cara 30, caps, and a sample of Serbian yeast. It came well recommended but i don't know much about it. i have tasted about 3 different brews it has been used in. seemed to work fine. Anyone know anything about it?

Serbian Yeast.jpg

Picked up a new ball lock keg(new to me) and tested my KBS clone - just the slightest bit over est FG so a few more days may fix that, if not I'm pretty happy with it already.

Can't get the new keg to seal for my life though

Tossed some US-05 onto fresh wort from last nights brew sesh. Discovered a leak in the nitro regulator from NB after losing 500 PSI of beer gas. Pretty pissed about that since it was a pain to source that gas. Thanks NB quality control or lack thereof.

Brewed 5 of an ipa, kegged 10 of Kolsch. Cleaned up and set up for 10 of kolsch tomorrow including measure and milling malt, water additions and hops. Also split a cake of 3711 to share and jarred my 2565 to pitch when tomorrows brew is cool.

Waiting on the mash tun to heat up to 155F or so. Gotta mash the grains & beans for the Mumme'. Yeah, you heard right, beans. A pound of small white Goya beans cooked & coarsely mashed. Will be added to grains in the MT/BK with the grains for 90 minutes.

picked up some Cara 30, caps, and a sample of Serbian yeast. It came well recommended but i don't know much about it. i have tasted about 3 different brews it has been used in. seemed to work fine. Anyone know anything about it?

update: I just translated the two largest words (thanks Google!) врење КВАСАЦ = "fermentation Yeast" so we are off to the correct start.

Chatted up some guys at a new brewery opening up down the street... Trying to get in to learn and do some brewing'!

Brew day wound up so dang late last night, it slipped into today. Put kettle with some 4 gallons of wort on my cart, covered with large Maillard Malt bag over lidded kettle. Gotta get to it in a bit. Then do a whole lot better wind-up/recap video after pitching the yeast.

Back