Vernors recipe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read all the posts and none come close to what I remember of Vernors. It was so potent that your eyes would water while you drank it. We always had it when we were sick because it even burned the back of your throat just a little. I've been experimenting with various recipes. Even a cup of sugar for a 2 quart batch is too sweet for me. I'm adding about an 1/8 of a teaspoon of champagne yeast, so I'm actually brewing it. It's also too lemony.

I recently added about a three-inch knob of ginger, chopped with skin on, to a batch of kombucha and let it ferment for about three days. I removed the ginger and let it ferment for another two days. I also prepared a separate jar with another two-inch knob of ginger and let it ferment.

The first one is the closest I've come to Vernors. The second one with the additional ginger seemed a little bitter. I'm going to keep trying. May add a bit of lemon, but I'm sticking with the kombucha base for now.

Latest posts

Back