Possible to have too much attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackstrat5

Reaction score
So I fermented an IPA 1.066 OG. I just checked the gravity after 1.5 weeks to find it is now 1.010. I fermented using Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale.

Is it possible to have the attenuation too high?

No, it is still beer, it will just have a drier finish, and less malt character. The flavor will be different, but each of us likes it different, so you may love a well attenuated beer.

I mashed at 150 (single infusion). Is it normal to get the attenuation that high for that kind of mash?

I guess besides allowing the fermentation temp to rise to 68 towards the end, what else could affect the high attenuation?

pompeiisneaks said:
No, it is still beer, it will just have a drier finish, and less malt character. The flavor will be different, but each of us likes it different, so you may love a well attenuated beer.

I respectfully disagree man, you can have an extremely malty beer with a dry finish. Just look at a Dubbel like Westmalle, or particular dark strongs like Gulden Draak!

Op, I prefer drier beers myself, you may too! :)

blackstrat5 said:
I mashed at 150 (single infusion). Is it normal to get the attenuation that high for that kind of mash?

I guess besides allowing the fermentation temp to rise to 68 towards the end, what else could affect the high attenuation?

Grains used (crystal will lessen attenuation due to more complex unfermentable sugars)

Mash temps (140 to 158, lower making almost completely fermentable, higher very thick and a lot less fermentable)(150 will make a fairly fermentable beer)

Yeast strain (attenuation varies greatly depending on strain)

Yeast nutrition (lacking nutrients will lessen attenuation)

Fermentation temp schedule (pitching cold and raising over fermentation will result in better attenuation)(also pitching too hot will ferment quickly and well but usually results in off flavors)

150 is a bit low in that you are going to get a bit more beta amylase and attenuate more, resulting in a thinner body generally speaking.

Your attenuation is going to be a combination of factors. The mash temp definitely has an effect, as does the grist composition, the amount of kettle carmelization, the yeast strain you select, the fermentation temperature profile, the amount of yeast you pitch, the amount of oxygen, the amount of FAN (Free Amino Nitrogen), and probably several other factors I cannot think of right now.

The important thing to keep in mind is that the amount of attenuation doesn't matter as much as the overall impression you get when you drink the beer. If the character of the beer matches your expectations (e.g. does it finish too dry, or too sweet, or as you expect), then don't worry about it.

1.010 isn't bad for an IPA as long as you weren't going above 60 ibu.

A 60min 150 mash with a 158f rest for 20-30min should yield best results.

I respectfully disagree man, you can have an extremely malty beer with a dry finish. Just look at a Dubbel like Westmalle, or particular dark strongs like Gulden Draak!

Op, I prefer drier beers myself, you may too! :)

You're right, I meant sweeter, which is not the same. Thanks for reminding me. Malty comes from hop and malt balance right? Anyway, the rest I said makes sense I hope.

~Phil

I also recently got fairly high attenuation out of Wyeast 1332: 1.060 -> 1.009 . Also mashed low (about 149). I used a 1.5L starter, and my notes show it reached its terminal gravity at about 4 days (took the opportunity to measure it as the airlock blew off).

airving said:
I also recently got fairly high attenuation out of Wyeast 1332: 1.060 -> 1.009 . Also mashed low (about 149). I used a 1.5L starter, and my notes show it reached its terminal gravity at about 4 days (took the opportunity to measure it as the airlock blew off).

How were your tasting notes for it? What kind of beer was it?

Unfortunately, my tasting notes are limited to the hydrometer samples so far - really not a fair showing for it as of yet, and although it's ready for the keg I haven't transferred it.

Back