22oz. Bottles same fill lvl for carb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Hey yall!! Just spent a couple hours washing 12oz. bottles :mad: . Probably going to move to 22oz.ers. I've been carbonating with 4-5 oz. corn sugar for a 5 gal. extract batch. Should i increase or decrease bottle headspace for 22's to get proper carb. Thanks RR.

Your bottle filler should go down further into the bottle being that the bottle is taller and when extracted should leave that much more headspace, so don't change anything

NewBrewer25 said:
Your bottle filler should go down further into the bottle being that the bottle is taller and when extracted should leave that much more headspace, so don't change anything

My filler is gravity fed tip & with my first batch I pushed the filler on the side of the bottle to top off. Cheap little gadget that came with my equip. kit. This will be my second batch bottling. If there is more airspace, wouldn't that risk excessive carbonation?

Ridge Runner said:
...my first batch I pushed the filler on the side of the bottle to top off...
Did you really top-off the bottle? Or did you leave about 1 ince of head space.

Look at a commercial brew. That's what you want in your home brew as well...12Oz or 22Oz.

3/4 cup of priming sugar is fine for bottling, regardless of bottle size.

BierMuncher said:
Did you really top-off the bottle? Or did you leave about 1 ince of head space.

Look at a commercial brew. That's what you want in your home brew as well...12Oz or 22Oz.

3/4 cup of priming sugar is fine for bottling, regardless of bottle size.

Left an inch and had great carb. Thanks :tank: RR

Back