Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catch22

Reaction score
Curious if it is normal to have no sign of bubbling through the airlock after putting brew in carboy for secondary fermentation.It has been in since Sunday.
Thanks

This was my first batch of beer using a carboy, but no bubbling through the airlock. Fermentation went fine and I bottled Sunday night.

if your fermentation is done then you will get no action out of the airlock in secondary. my irish red has been sitting there for 2 weeks and no action but that is normal.

It is not abnormal to get some bubbles shortly after racking to secondary because the act of racking will rouse some dormant yeast who might go after some teeny bit of sugar that is left. However, as Nos points out, if it is done then it is done. Just let it sit and mellow

This happens to me pretty much every single time. I think of it like I'm waking the yeast up and they're checking the fridge and crapping out some CO2 before going back to bed.

The secondary is often called the "brite tank" where the particulates in the beer settle out and "brighten" or clarify the liquid. Not a great lot of actual fermentation goes on there. Many brewers find the "brite tank" unnecessary. I use one as a practical matter: my fermenter is a 6 gallon Better Bottle, while the secondary is a 5 gallon BB. If I want to ferment another brew, I've got to put the other stuff somewhere, and it's not ready to bottle yet.

glenn514:mug:

I have had a slighly aggressive secondary before. The beer turned out fine. You may have just taken it out too early. I wouldn't worry about it. You may get a small amount of trub though.

Back