Limoncello

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spearo

Reaction score
I'm sitting on the couch relaxing, content in the knowledge that the sweet stout I brewed last night has started bubbling a couple of hours ago. I am also sipping some of my homemade Limoncello. If you are looking for a diversion from making another batch of brew, you should try making some Limoncello. It's a great sipping liquor. I don't make mine as sweet as the commercial stuff. If you want to make some, make a lot. Once your friends/family find it, it's gone.

My wife and I have made a few batches...I don't have the recipe handy but basically it involves steeping lemon zest in vodka for a month or so, then adding a simple syrup and letting it sit another month before straining and bottling. It is really refreshing in the summer and even goes well with mineral water.

Limoncello Recipe
Limoncello is a liqueur made from lemons. In Italy, it is usually served after dinner. You will find locally made Limoncello in Sorrento (near the Amalfi coast) and in Liguria. Both of these areas grow the lemons used to create the Limoncello. If you want to have the taste of Italy at home, try this recipe to make your own.
Please note that this is a very detailed recipe for those who have never tackled liqueur making before. Many Limoncello recipes are much simpler and faster.
Ingredients list
• One Bottle (750 ml) Everclear (95% alcohol 190 Proof)
• One Bottle (750 ml) good but not necessarily premium vodka (40% alcohol 80 Proof)
• Note: I used a total of 2 liters of 80 proof vodka rather than the 750ml bottles of Everclear and vodka.
• 15 large thick skinned bright yellow lemons (without scars or flaws in the skin if possible.)
• 750 ml (about 3 cups) filtered tap water or distilled water (not mineral water)
• 4 cups pure cane white sugar (this will give thin syrup consistency; if you prefer a thicker syrup, experiment with increasing your sugar by 1-2 cups)
• Note: I cut the sugar down to 3 ½ cups, and may only use 3 cups in my next batch.
Tools list
• A very clean and dry gallon glass jar (the kind you make sun tea in is perfect)
• Large supplies of unbleached cone coffee filters; half of them #2 size and half of them #4 size
• 22 clean, 100 ml. bottles that seal tightly. I found mine at Cost Plus/World Market. They are clear glass with narrow necks. The ceramic looking white hard plastic stoppers have orange rubber gaskets and built in metal hasps to hold the stopper tight. They cost $1.99 each. If you would like to try to get the exact same bottle, the label says World Market "Spain" K1 and the UPC code is 2056 8498.)
• One large gallon sized glass (pyrex style) pitcher
• One cup sized metric measuring cup
• One punch ladle
• Two funnels with inch mouths. One should have a bowl capacity to fit the #4 coffee filter, the other to fit the #2 coffee filter.
Step One
Day 1

• Pour the bottle of Everclear and the bottle of vodka into the gallon jar.
• Try to use organic lemons or make sure that lemons are cleaned to remove all pesticides, dirt, and fertilizer chemicals. Dry the lemons. Use a potato peeler to peel just the yellow part of the skin off the lemons. Make sure you have NO white pith on the back of the peels, because this causes bitterness in the finished liqueur. Try to make the peel pieces as large as possible, because this will make the straining process easier.
• Put the lemon peels in the gallon jar and stir gently.
• Cover tightly and put away in a cool (not cold) dark place for alcohol to extract oils from peels, creating an infusion.
Days 8, 22, & 36
• Gently stir lemon peels to refresh exposure to alcohol. Return to cool, dark place.
Day 43
• Gently stir lemon peels.
• Scoop out one of the larger peels and test flexibility. If peel breaks like a potato chip, you will move on to the next step. If peel is still flexible enough to bend without breaking, return to cool dark place and try again in another week.
Step Two
Day 1
• Dissolve sugar in water and bring to boil over high heat.
• Set syrup aside to cool. It must be room temp before adding to infusion.
• Use a slotted spoon to gently scoop lemon peels from the infusion and discard. To avoid creating small pieces that will make straining more difficult, try not to break peels as you remove them.
• Using the larger funnel, the ladle, and #4 coffee filters, slowly strain infusion through filters into large pitcher. This is a messy process. The filters will clog quickly and you will use many of them.
• Rinse and dry gallon jar.
• Repeat straining process, transferring infusion from pitcher to original gallon jar by straining again through #4 coffee filters.
• Note: I only filtered once here, that was plenty.
• Return filtered infusion to jar and add COOLED syrup.
• Return to cool dry place for 40 days to begin mellowing process that combines alcohol infusion with syrup to create Limoncello.
Day 40
• Note: Adjust sweetness and alcohol content to taste by adding additional vodka and/or water.
• Return to cool dark place for storage.

Your Limoncello is now ready to enjoy. However, the longer it sits and "ages" the smoother it becomes.

Have fun. I would recommend making a double, triple or even quad batch. You won't be dissapointed.

I can't get everclear/grain alcohol here in New Hampshire. It depends on your state. I used vodka. you really have a lot of latitude with Limoncello since you are just infusing the alcohol. i soaked the lemon peels in 80 proof vodka for a month. i don't think grain alcohol could have gotten anything else out of the peels. they were completely spent when i was done.

i think lemon infused gin would be awesome. maybe i'll try that next.

Half in the bag so it's kind of hard to focus, but it looks really good. Lots of letters for my addled eyeballs right now... Ah f-it. I'll read the recipe when I'm sober. :drunk: It sounds tasty to me tho.

Ize

I've made some limoncello in the past ... but I believe my ex-wife tossed the last bottle of it in the toilet when we separated.

I liked it, but never really got to enjoy it as much as I wanted. My ex didn't like it at all (she drinks Smirnoff Ice, so what was I thinking?) but others I shared it with did. It's a REALLY simple thing to make (as are most liqueur infusions). I like the idea of using part everclear, part vodka though. I couldn't find any vodkas over 80 proof, and when I tried to chill it in the freezer as suggested before serving, it would turn slushy.

Here's my recipe :
2 Fifths of 100 proof vodka (since this beverage is served chilled like traditional vodka, anything less than 100 proof may freeze or thicken when in the freezer)
approx. 20 thick skinned lemons
5 cups sugar
5 cups water
Take the zest ONLY off all the lemons. Try to minimize the amount of pith (white stuff under the colored zest) you get as it will add a bitter flavor to your beverage. Place in a four quart glass, re-sealable container and add one fifth of vodka. There should be enough zest to just barely peek over the top of the vodka. When your sure you have enough add the other bottle of vodka, seal and store in a cool, dark place for about 40 days.

After 40 days combine 4 cups of sugar with 5 cups of water. Simmer until slightly thickened (approx. 5 min). Cool and then add to mixture. Seal and store for another 40 days.

After 80 days strain the liquid into bottles and then place in freezer. When properly chilled pour yourself some and enjoy!

Hey Spearo, what's the total volume of that recipe and can you just double/triple without messing up the flavor? Thanks, i am really interested in trying this.

Alright, pulling up an old thread here I was wondering if someone could help me out.

I've recently gotten into making limoncello, and enjoy it quite a bit. I'm going to try and do a couple batches centered around other fruits now as well. For orange and lime I figure the process is going to be basically the same. What I'm wondering is if anyone has any experience making non-citrus based flavors.

I know its possible to do, as I've had chocolate, chocolate hazelnut, watermelon, peach and raspberry. I'm not really concerned with something like the chocolate, but the other fruit flavors do intrigue me. I also guess that if these are possible, other things like pineapple or mango would be possible too, which seem like they would be nice to have in the summer time.

In the past I've made pineapple infused vodka by soaking a cut up pineapple in vodka for a week, so I'm wondering if that is basically the same process I would follow to try and make a more cello like drink out of something like that. Just keep it on the fruit longer, and then add the simple syrup. Maybe cutting down on the syrup to account for the sugar that could come out of the pineapple? I mean, if I decide after I have added the syrup and let it age that it needs more would there be anything wrong with going back and adding more?

Well, sorry this is getting kinda long, but if anyone has any experience or opinions regarding this I'd greatly appreciate some input.

-Andrew

ill.literate said:
I couldn't find any vodkas over 80 proof, and when I tried to chill it in the freezer as suggested before serving, it would turn slushy.

What's the temp in your freezer? Mine is around 0°F and I haven't been able to turn anything 80 proof into slush. I don't know where to find much of anything over 80 proof here(except for Phillips 100 proof "liqueurs"). Apparently the highest proof allowed in CA is 150 or thereabouts. That means even Everclear is only 150.

I made Limoncello several years ago with some horrible 120 proof "vodka"(don't ask) and it was actually pretty good. Caution is the best chaser for Limoncello 'cause it will put you on the floor deceptively fast. :cross:

I make my own vanilla vodka/extract. 10 vanilla beans, split lengthwise and stored in a 750mL bottle of vodka for at least 3 months. Yum!!!

Brew Runner said:
What's the temp in your freezer? Mine is around 0°F and I haven't been able to turn anything 80 proof into slush.

I've had a lot of cheap, allegedly 80 proof vodka go slushy in my freezer...if it happens, I resolve to never buy that brand again! It's never an issue with higher quality vodka.

I've made many, many batches of limoncello over the years, and while I prefer 151 proof everclear, vodka works fine as well. You do get a stronger lemon flavor with everclear, but if vodka is all you can get, don't let it stop you from making this wonderful beverage. RDWHAL!

BlindLemonLars said:
I've had a lot of cheap, allegedly 80 proof vodka go slushy in my freezer...if it happens, I resolve to never buy that brand again! It's never an issue with higher quality vodka.

I've made many, many batches of limoncello over the years, and while I prefer 151 proof everclear, vodka works fine as well. You do get a stronger lemon flavor with everclear, but if vodka is all you can get, don't let it stop you from making this wonderful beverage. RDWHAL!

The kicker is that I've had much lower ABV stuff not slush up either. I had a Steel Reserve 40oz stay clear liquidin my freezer, yet condensation on the bottle froze.

Brew Runner said:
The kicker is that I've had much lower ABV stuff not slush up either. I had a Steel Reserve 40oz stay clear liquidin my freezer, yet condensation on the bottle froze.

Interesting, that makes me think there are other factors at work besides ABV. Perhaps whatever molecules that are the impurities in cheap vodka serve as nucleation points for ice crystals to form?

I don't know the exact mechanics of what happened in my situation. Obviously the water in my 40oz was super cooled, but perhaps the 8.1% of ethanol was enough to keep it from crystallizing. It didn't flash crystallize after I opened it, either.

I was wondering what kind of vodka everyone is using when they make their limocello. I was told to use neither something great, nor something super cheap, so I figured smirnoff fell in between there. Does anyone out there use premium vodka? Would it make a difference? I am using about a 60% vodka 40% everclear blend in mine, so I'm thinking that if I used a better vodka it really wouldn't come through, but I'm not sure.

andypantz13 said:
Alright, pulling up an old thread here I was wondering if someone could help me out.

I've recently gotten into making limoncello, and enjoy it quite a bit. I'm going to try and do a couple batches centered around other fruits now as well. For orange and lime I figure the process is going to be basically the same. What I'm wondering is if anyone has any experience making non-citrus based flavors.

You can make a wide variety of infused liqueurs, but what separates limoncello and its brethren is that you are infusing the oils of the skin rather than the fruit itself. So while you can infuse vodka or grain alcohol (or just about anything else, for that matter) with fruit, it is the oils of the lemon zest, lime zest, orange zest, et al, that create the distinctive limoncello (whatever~cello) aroma and bite.

Chad

andypantz13 said:
I was wondering what kind of vodka everyone is using when they make their limocello. I was told to use neither something great, nor something super cheap, so I figured smirnoff fell in between there. Does anyone out there use premium vodka? Would it make a difference? I am using about a 60% vodka 40% everclear blend in mine, so I'm thinking that if I used a better vodka it really wouldn't come through, but I'm not sure.

I wouldn't go crazy with the vodka, anything decent will be adequate. Like I said, I get the best results with everclear, and it's not exactly the cleanest alcohol on the market. So as long as it doesn't go slushy in the freezer or give you a nasty skin rash when you drink it, your smirnoff should be fine. :D

BlindLemonLars said:
I wouldn't go crazy with the vodka, anything decent will be adequate. Like I said, I get the best results with everclear, and it's not exactly the cleanest alcohol on the market. So as long as it doesn't go slushy in the freezer or give you a nasty skin rash when you drink it, your smirnoff should be fine. :D

Okay, that what I was figuring. I definitely like using the everclear in there too, gives it that nice bite. I just feel a little starved for information on this subject and really can't find much.

We make Limoncello yearly. (Italian coming from a big Italian family)

It used to be a "Christmas project" that has turned into an every 3 month project :D

As the OP said, hide bottles or keep a rotating supply going. You'll be everyone's best friend, if you aren't already.

We use vodka, not everclear. We found the everclear was too harsh, even after 4-6 months of sitting, even with the vodka/everclear mix.
We wound up settling on a vodka-only mix.

We've done Absolut only and it's a big favorite with Absolut fans.. Usually we just get a "cheaper" vodka and use that. It gets too expensive using Absolut or high cost vodkas.

We also find that Costco/Sams Club trips are necessary when you start making it regularly. ;) (don't forget, you don't need a membership to buy alcohol at either place)

Chad said:
You can make a wide variety of infused liqueurs, but what separates limoncello and its brethren is that you are infusing the oils of the skin rather than the fruit itself. So while you can infuse vodka or grain alcohol (or just about anything else, for that matter) with fruit, it is the oils of the lemon zest, lime zest, orange zest, et al, that create the distinctive limoncello (whatever~cello) aroma and bite.

Chad

I guess this is actually where my question is coming in, because I do understand how the zest is creating the distinctiveness of the cello. However the non-citrus flavors that I've had have been very celloesque. I was just wondering if that's how it turns out, or if maybe there was some secret to it. Oh well, vodka and everclear are pretty cheap after all. I'll just have to experiment.

I'm a big fan of the flavored liquors.

Early in the spring I started a gallon of pineapple vodka. That disappeared the night I opened it.

Right now I have a lime rum going. Once I pull the lime slices, I'm mashing some mint and adding it in for a few days. I'll strain and freeze it and it will be the greatest mojito shots ever.

B

Agree-- keep it in the freezer. And, try orangcello or better yet raspberrycello!

Agree-- keep it in the freezer. And, try orangcello or better yet raspberrycello!

I've made it with oranges and tangerines, which were both pretty good. Strangely enough, they almost tasted artificially flavored, although there was absolutely nothing fake about them.

My girlfriend sometimes makes umeshu, or Japanese apricot liqueur. It's good, but too sweet for my taste.

Stranger attempts include lime (nasty!!) and kumquat, which was interesting but not great. Now I just stick with lemons from my tree.

How did you use the lime? Was it just zest, or the fruit portion also?

I just found a pint size canning jar I stowed away years ago that was a sugarless 120 proof orange liquor experiment. The orange zest in the bottom lost almost all of its color, but it sure smells good.

How did you use the lime? Was it just zest, or the fruit portion also?

Zest only, painstakingly removed with a tiny zester. It came out horribly bitter, with no recognizable lime flavor. Tasted like a glass of sweet poison! Thankfully it was a tiny experimental batch, so I only lost a bottle of vodka and a few limes.

I watched Giada make this on TV. I so want to try it, even though I dont' drink hard liquor. Maybe it was just her making me want to try it. I'd taste anythign of hers! 8D

It looks so easy.

Latest posts

Back