bells two hearted ale EXTRACT recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parratt1

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am looking for a good two hearted ale extract recipe. I can find many all grrain versions online but am coming up short for extract. Anyone have one that they have made? If so would you mind sharing it and how it turned out? Many thanks

So far primarily have been making kits so I have been doing 2.5 gallon boils. I can do a 3 gallon for sure. Probably not much bigger than that.

7lb DME (light or extra light)
1/2 lb. - Caramel/Crystal Malt (15L)
1/2 lb. - CaraPils

Hop Schedule (47 IBU)

1/2 oz. - Centennial (60 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (45 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (30 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (15 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (flameout)
1 oz. - Centennial (Dry Hop)

7lb DME (light or extra light)
1/2 lb. - CaraPils

Hop Schedule (47 IBU)

Good base, but for a 3 gallon boil, I'd change up the hopping. In my mind, I'd do a full ounce of hops at each addition, except for the 45& 30 minute additions which I'd leave out.

My hops schedule would be:
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (15 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (5 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (1 min)

1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

Also, add 1/2 the extract at the beginning, and the other 1/2 at the end of the boil. That should give you a nice hoppy IPA.

Wow....simple enough. Thanks a bunch. What yeast do you recommend? Have never harvested yeast from a bottle before so is there a wyeast that will work?

Perfect! I am very excited to brew this one. Two hearted ale has become my all time favortie IPA! Thank you for the help!

Good base, but for a 3 gallon boil, I'd change up the hopping. In my mind, I'd do a full ounce of hops at each addition, except for the 45& 30 minute additions which I'd leave out.

Also, add 1/2 the extract at the beginning, and the other 1/2 at the end of the boil. That should give you a nice hoppy IPA.

if you are adding 1/2 the extract in the beginning and the other half in the last 10 min. the gravity would be similar to a full boil.

Just racked to the secondary with a dry hop of 1.2oz whole Centennial hops after 13 days in the primary. The sample tasted pretty damned fine - although the hydrometer tested out at 1.020. I'm hoping it'll drop to 1.015 in another week or two.

Am I crazy to think that this'll happen? I'm still pretty much a noob even though I have been reading incessantly for the last year.

Thanks

AT

Just racked to the secondary with a dry hop of 1.2oz whole Centennial hops after 13 days in the primary. The sample tasted pretty damned fine - although the hydrometer tested out at 1.020. I'm hoping it'll drop to 1.015 in another week or two.

Am I crazy to think that this'll happen? I'm still pretty much a noob even though I have been reading incessantly for the last year.

Thanks

AT

With extract, sometimes the fermentation just stops at 1.020 and won't budge. Generally, once you rack off of the yeast cake, it won't drop much, if any, more.

OK - 13 days in the primary - 9 days secondary with the Centennial dry-hop.

I racked it to the keg last night - the sample read at 1.018 and was delicious.

I know it is rushing it a bit, but I want to serve this 11/13 for a party. AM I crazy? Or will it just be greenish?

Thanks!

AT

OK - 13 days in the primary - 9 days secondary with the Centennial dry-hop.

I racked it to the keg last night - the sample read at 1.018 and was delicious.

I know it is rushing it a bit, but I want to serve this 11/13 for a party. AM I crazy? Or will it just be greenish?

Thanks!

AT

If it tastes great, serve it! I would.

this looks great. What was the OG and finished alc% with this? It may be my next batch

How would one modify this for a full 5 gallon boil?

Thanks

@flabyboy

1.058 - 1.018 for 5.3%

I am going to try this with the Bell's yeast I harvested from a bottle. I just started the harvest last night. I think I want to do the extract again and then the AG with some of the slurry while washing the rest of the yeast for future batches. It might take a while as I just brewed Yooper's AG Dead Guy clone last night. The hall passes from SWMBO don't come about that frequently...

I just did an AG Two Hearted Clone Saturday. I harvested the yeast from two bottles of the real thing. Did a 1/2 liter starter and then stepped up to a 1 liter. All I can say is I'm lucky I used a blow off tube, it was pumping away like a rabid beast Sunday morning.

Would you use the same recipe for a 3 gallon boil, then add 2 gallons at fermentation?

Has anyone tried this extract Two hearted clone lately? Which hop schedule did you use?

I assume I'll be able to use the same quantities of DME for a 5 gallon boil, correct?

Thanks,

Has anyone tried this extract Two hearted clone lately? Which hop schedule did you use?

I assume I'll be able to use the same quantities of DME for a 5 gallon boil, correct?

Thanks,

7.5 lbs DME for a full boil, yes. I've only brewed this recipe AG, but I used the same hopping schedule that Yooper posted and it turned out fantastic.

Perhaps not a clone, but I recently brewed this partial mash recipe and it is very, very similar to Two Hearted (I'm about half way through my keg now). A lot of hops I know, but using less in the past has not given me the flavor and aroma I want. I do a 3.5 gallon boil.

Grain/Extract
3 lbs Marris Otter
8 oz Munich 10L
3 lbs Muntons Light DME (Added before boil)
3 lbs Muntons Light DME (Added in the last 15 minutes)

Hop Schedule (All Pellets)
2 oz Centennial @ 60 min
1 oz Centennial @ 15 min
1 oz Centennial @ 5 min
1 oz Centennial @ 2 min
1 oz Centennial @ 1 min
2 oz Centennial @ Flame out (Steeped for 15 minutes)
2 oz Citra @ Dry hop

Yeast
Safale US-05, 1 Pint Starter

Primary 10 days. Secondary with dry hop for 13 days.

Readings
OG - 1.059
FG - 1.011
ABV - 6.3%

I got poor efficiency I believe due to not rinsing my grain thoroughly enough. I usually get 60% which would have put my readings right at 1.064 and 7% assuming it still finished at 1.011.

Obviously, they don't use Citra in Two Hearted for their dry hop, but just use Centennial in it's place and it should be quite close.

I brewed this recipe this weekend and had a couple questions/advice. My question is a little brewing generic, as I've only made a few batches with varying results.

I did a 5 gallon boil with:
6lb DME
1/2 lb. - CaraPils

Hop Schedule (47 IBU)

So now that it's brewed I was wondering if/when I should move it to a secondary? What's the advantage? And when do I do it? One person mentioned 10 days in. I assume I add the Dry Hops at that point? I've never done the secondary carboy before.

And when do I go for the bottling? Typically I wait 2~3 weeks as instructed. A friend suggested this could be why I'm getting some off results, that I'm letting it sit too long.

Thanks for helping out a bit of a novice. I want to get focused and start getting some good brews going without having a "off" taste.

This used to be called Three Hearted Ale, but the powers that be didn't like the nod to their brew. So, I bring you...Dead Ringer IPA. I brewed it...it was good. I never did do a back to back tasting with Two Hearted though. I've had it many times, but never thought to do a comparison. I guess I didn't really care how close it was because it tasted great. With 68 reviews and a 5-star rating, I'm guess a few others liked it as well.

Dead Ringer IPA Extract Kit w/ Specialty Grains - Extract Ale Kits - Extract Kits - Recipe Kits - Brewing : Northern Brewer

This used to be called Three Hearted Ale, but the powers that be didn't like the nod to their brew. So, I bring you...Dead Ringer IPA. I brewed it...it was good. I never did do a back to back tasting with Two Hearted though. I've had it many times, but never thought to do a comparison. I guess I didn't really care how close it was because it tasted great. With 68 reviews and a 5-star rating, I'm guess a few others liked it as well.

Dead Ringer IPA Extract Kit w/ Specialty Grains - Extract Ale Kits - Extract Kits - Recipe Kits - Brewing : Northern Brewer

That was the very first beer I ever made. It turned out pretty good!

sorry to bring this thread back to life but Yooper I took your advice on my Citra IPA and everything is turning out very well. I was hoping you could give me the extract recipe for a 5 gal boil

I brewed a batch of this last Sunday. I notice that the recipe doesn't say anything about priming when bottling. Is that an oversight, or will it carbonate fine without priming?:confused:

:tank:

I brewed a batch of this last Sunday. I notice that the recipe doesn't say anything about priming when bottling. Is that an oversight, or will it carbonate fine without priming?:confused:

:tank:

Priming is just assumed. Prime with 1 ounce of corn sugar per finished gallon (probably 4.5 ounces of corn sugar by weight) dissolved in a little boiling water.

Hopalongbrew said:
Okay. Next dumb question. When I dry hop, do I have to transfer to a second fermenter?

You don't HAVE to, but it is usually recommended to transfer to a secondary.

Do whatever works best for you an your setup, dry hopping in primary is better than no dry hopping!

Back