Labels that make you pass up a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonedef131

Reaction score
This is the superficial beer thread. This is for those labels that you just think are so stupid that you won't pick that beer up on the shelf and just pass it on by. Not necessarily ones you just don't really think about because they aren't creative, but ones that suck so bad it makes you not want to support that brewery. This thread is not for talking about how delicious a beer inside the bottle is, but how poor of a job they did labeling it.

For me, anything involving Aviation or Dogs on the label is never getting bought by my. Some breweries will theme their entire line of beers off of these and I think it's a big mistake. Sure planes are kinda cool and I like dogs a bunch, but what the hell do they have to do with beer? I don't wanna think about your dog drooling and all his hair floating around the brewery when I am drinking your beer...gross. There has also been two breweries in my state that have gone under after using an aviation theme as their entire marketing approach. Coincidence? Not likely.

Pretty much anything sporting skulls or that has like a skull and crossbones on the label. This is the most redneck approach you can take to anything. Just stop.

You ever see "Repo Man?"

generic-beer.jpg

I can't read the small print...or am I even supposed to be able to?

That is actually kinda awesome, there is something so unpretentious about it that I don't know if I could pass that one up.

I don't even look at the label art really. The art says nothing to me about the beer inside. It could sport a dog flying and airplane through eyes of a skull and crossbones and it'd mean nothing to me.

So, if my bottle sport pictures of my kids, does that mean all you'd think about is crappy diapers? That is just wierd man.

what iirtates me more than crappy artwork is the lack of information many berwies include on the label. ABV, SG, IBU's, those should be mandatory.

I always think that if a brewery can't put some thought into the name and label of their beer then how much pride did they take in the production of said beer. I mean I just warned everyone about Malted Corpse. It had a cheaply applied paper label that was sort of peeling off and they didn't say what kind of beer it was it just ready "beer". If I can take 20 mins to come up with a name and a label then why can't some one who is actually selling theirs?

I haven't (and am trying my hardest to keep away) tried anything from Horny Goat Brewing, simply because of the name. Trying way too hard.

Founders' labels have also make me not reach for them. Maybe I should give them a chance, tho. (I think it's founders...)

So, if my bottle sport pictures of my kids, does that mean all you'd think about is crappy diapers?
Probably not unless it actually showed the kid sitting there in a diaper. But if you put a picture of your kids on the bottle I certainly wouldn't buy it, I don't know or care about your kids why don't you put something on there that has to do with the beer?

Imagery is important. It doesn't necessarily have to be ingredients on the label. For example, I love the two hearted ale bottle because it is classy looking. It sports a fish on the label but doesn't make you think about fish being in the bottle, it makes you think of fishing the two heated river and relaxing in the wilderness with a great ale.

But this is totally subjective, that is why I made this thread. I am interested in seeing what some people love and pulls them in and what other people hate.

I avoid the ones printed on the sticker labels. those suck to scrub off...

the only beer labels I can think of that I really dislike are the new sporty pyramid labels, they remind me of a ymca advert or something

Without talking about how great the beer typically is inside a Flying Dog bottle, I also love the Ralph Steadman art on the outside.

Other than to identify what is in the bottle, I pay very, very little attention to the labels on the outside. Typically, the only ones I do may much attention to are the ones I like. I don't know if I label could turn me off a beer any more than one could turn me onto one.

TL

Guess I'd pass on unicorns and rainbows but there's SO many beers out there I usually try to hit something that I heard someone raving about and never really think about the label.

-OCD

Another one that irritates me is those Rogue labels, they always just have somebody on there with a beer in one hand and their other hand making a first in the air. They literally could not be less creative. A chili beer so they put a dude in a sombrero, Shakespeare stout so they have a fella who looks like Shakespeare...really? That's it? It doesn't help that they are printed on so they aren't easy to reuse and the beer is mediocre at best. No Rogue for me thank you.

I don't know or care about your kids why don't you put something on there that has to do with the beer?

This is where I think the issues is, speaking purely subjectively, why should my label have anything to do with you or your life?

As for me, my kids have everything to do with my beer. They are eiether my inpiration to brew (in that I want to have the alone time), or they are with me brewing.

The lable should mean something to the person that is invested in the product. Otherwise, there is no real connection to the person that crafts it.

What you are describing, in my opinion is a prime example of the big advertising associated with Macro beer. "Pop the top and it takes you away to the crisp, cool, Colorado streams with visions of fly fishing"

What you are describing, in my opinion is a prime example of the big advertising associated with Macro beer. "Pop the top and it takes you away to the crisp, cool, Colorado streams with visions of fly fishing"
Yeah, that's exactly what it is. We aren't talking about homebrews here that you are giving to your friends and family. We are talking about you walking into a liquor store and blindly buying something off the shelf. You know nothing about this brewer or his beer, you just want something that is going to taste good. So all you really have to go off of (unless you read or heard about it specifically) is the description and the imagery on the label.

In my opinion, you can often at least gauge the quality of a beer by its label. Yes there are surprises, but by in large it is easy to avoid bad beers by inspecting the label and other information.

I do not have a class that I avoid, but I am generally not a fan or realism on labels. I think they should be at least slightly stylized or have some edge. That wouldn't stop me buying a beer I otherwise thought was good, I just don't like those labels as much.

Guess I'd pass on unicorns and rainbows but there's SO many beers out there I usually try to hit something that I heard someone raving about and never really think about the label.

-OCD

Actually that sounds pretty cool. I'd buy that.

The only thing I care about the label is telling me whats in the bottle/can.."IPA, STOUT, etc". I would like to think the brewery has put most of their effort inside the package, not outside.

The BMC's do a good job of flashy marketing/packaging though!

I always think that if a brewery can't put some thought into the name and label of their beer then how much pride did they take in the production of said beer. I mean I just warned everyone about Malted Corpse. It had a cheaply applied paper label that was sort of peeling off and they didn't say what kind of beer it was it just ready "beer". If I can take 20 mins to come up with a name and a label then why can't some one who is actually selling theirs?

From a purely advertising/promotion stand point this makes sense. But if you put a dress on a pig....it's still an f'n pig. I kinda go the opposite route...If a company (or person) has to have a fancy-dancy label...then most likely that's where most of their effort went. BMC has some unique labels that they spend millions in market research to create...but the beer is sub par in most cases. Some bottles/labels look cool, I'll give you that, but that's not why I personnaly buy the product. I usually don't fall for the glitz and glamour that is advertising....I don't label my beers....I"M NOT A BREWERY!! I don't pretend to be something I'm not...(plus I have no talent in that department so....I'm jealous....lol..)

Without talking about how great the beer typically is inside a Flying Dog bottle, I also love the Ralph Steadman art on the outside.

Oddly, this is the reason I have never tried their beer. I like Ralph Steadman fine, but it just seemed odd on a beer bottle and always steered me away from their beer.

Another one that irritates me is those Rogue labels, they always just have somebody on there with a beer in one hand and their other hand making a first in the air.

I like some of their beers okay. I'm not rabid about any of them, but I love those bottles because they remind me of old eastern bloc, Soviet area propaganda posters! :D

You guys are getting way sidetracked and all ethical. As I said before, this is the superficial beer thread. This is not about whether you label your homebrew or how brewers should be putting more attention on their beers or some internet rage rant about how BMC is the devil. This is a thread to discuss what labels suck and why.

I love those bottles because they remind me of old eastern bloc, Soviet area propaganda posters!
I think it would be fine for one Soviet themed beer, but when it's on nearly every bottle it becomes played out.
Wow I would totally buy a beer with unicorns and rainbows on the label, just becaue that's so hilarious.
Lunch Meet: the beer

+ 1,349

The fact that they are a big supporter of my homebrew club and donate ingredients for 'Big Brew Days' at the brewery doesn't hurt. ;)

You guys are getting way sidetracked and all ethical. As I said before, this is the superficial beer thread. This is not about whether you label your homebrew or how brewers should be putting more attention on their beers or some internet rage rant about how BMC is the devil. This is a thread to discuss what labels suck and why.

Like it or not, forum discussions take on a life of their own once started. *shrug*

That being said: the only thing that a label can do to drive me away from their beer is if it is too hard for me to decipher what is in the freaking bottle. Flash, not flash-- whatever--- the purpose of a label is to tell me what is inside if they use crappy fonts or they are so 'creative' that it obscures the information, that's what will keep me from buying the beer.

I can't think of any that I think suck....well...maybe those stupid color changing mountains on Coors Lite.... :D

I've thought a lot about this topic, actually. I think I unconsciously avoid beers with labels that don't appeal to me. Well, at least until someone recommends the beer, then it doesn't matter.

If I had to pick a brewery with the most annoying labels, it's Ska Brewery all the way. Their labeles look like a cheesy attempt to be hip that it comes off looking stupid.

I also avoid landscape labels. Take for example Boulder Beer. I pretty much ignored their entire line up, until Hazed and Infused and Cold Hop IPA, and those labels work for me. At first, I didn't even realize they were from the same brewery, because their other beers have the annoying, generic 'landscape' picture on them. Lame.

The bottom line is that once I've had the beer, I don't care about the label, but I have to admit that I'm more likely to try a new beer with a cool looking label.

Wyerbacher!! It took 3 pages for someone to say Weyerbacher? I hate their labels. On Heresy the words are off centered. Good beer, though.

I had another one but I forgot already.

That being said: the only thing that a label can do to drive me away from their beer is if it is too hard for me to decipher what is in the freaking bottle. Flash, not flash-- whatever--- the purpose of a label is to tell me what is inside if they use crappy fonts or they are so 'creative' that it obscures the information, that's what will keep me from buying the beer.

This is exactly why I've never picked up a Founder's 6-pack. By the time I searched the label long enough to figure out what it is, I'm too annoyed to pick it up. Also, the artists' style just isn't my taste.

Is that a bad reason to never try their beer? Yeah, probably - but it's hard to grab something when you don't even want to look at it. Book/cover aside, first impressions account for a lot.

Racer 5's terrible label almost cost me not trying it. Luckily I took all of your advice and bought it and loved it and bought it and loved it and bought it and loved it and then bought it and one bottle was not good, but then i bought it and loved it and bought it and loved it and now its today!

This is an alpha design for a logo I'm doing. I plan on having all the art work being of forests and scenery. This shouldn't be annoying
j5crkm.png

I absolutely hate it when breweries use the same template for their entire line of beers. Sam Adams, Hoppin' Frog, DFH - I'm looking at you! I understand the whole concept of logo recognition, but a little imagination goes a long way to me.

I once bought some of this:

web_label506_nb8n.jpg

It goes without saying that I now studiously avoid any beers sporting labels depicting horses, or even just the word Kentucky.

Another one that irritates me is those Rogue labels, they always just have somebody on there with a beer in one hand and their other hand making a first in the air. They literally could not be less creative. A chili beer so they put a dude in a sombrero, Shakespeare stout so they have a fella who looks like Shakespeare...really? That's it? It doesn't help that they are printed on so they aren't easy to reuse and the beer is mediocre at best. No Rogue for me thank you.

All the pertinent information...
ReadRogue.jpg

They are not all the same. The fist pump is an integral part of their company creed/mission, therefore it is on most of their bottles. Continuity is something that sells product...it's good marketing. Their design is top notch, and they clearly take time and are creative, and I'd think painted/screened labels should reflect that.

Check out the Morimoto "labels" and tell me that's not good design.
http://www.rogue.com/beers/morimoto-soba-ale.php

And I'm no crazy Rogue lover, but based on the ridiculous number of awards, I'd say the beer is a little better than "mediocre at best."

I love when a company has a great template at just tweaks a few things! It adds uniformity to the line. Labels I like, Rogue, Sierra Nevada, Anchor, New Belgium, Sam Adams.

Other than to identify what is in the bottle, I pay very, very little attention to the labels on the outside. Typically, the only ones I do may much attention to are the ones I like. I don't know if I label could turn me off a beer any more than one could turn me onto one.

TL

I absolutely hate it when breweries use the same template for their entire line of beers. Sam Adams, Hoppin' Frog, DFH - I'm looking at you! I understand the whole concept of logo recognition, but a little imagination goes a long way to me.

I'm going to have to disagree with both of you here.

To TexLaw and his comments about Flying Dog labels. I'm VERY turned off by the labels. His art was GREAT for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, it really matched the theme and feeling of the book and movie. I don't want my beer to give me a feeling of drug-addled misadventures and gross stories of opiate induced debacles. I've never picked up a six pack of their beer at the store.

And I disagree with Greencoat and the consistent template. I love it when you can immediately recognize a brewery based on the design of their label. I think the designers CAN be creative with the template, while still being consistent.

Some of my favorite Homebrew labels I've seen here belong to Davebier, who uses a pretty consistent template. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f46/davebier-tap-handles-122751/

Founders' labels have also make me not reach for them. Maybe I should give them a chance, tho. (I think it's founders...)

I don't have that aversion, and yes, you should try some Founders. They make some of the best beer I have ever had.

I have a hard time buying Mount Pleasant Brewing Company beer because of their label. Now there is nothing particularly "wrong" with their label, I just think it looks cheap. It's basically got a picture of a train on the front and the name of the beer. Nothing so bad, but the only difference between their different styles of beer is the color of the label. Just seems like they could make a more professional-looking label IMO. And their beer is not bad, but I consider it average for craft beer.

I try to avoid any beers with labels that include the phrase "American wheat." :D

Seriously, though, I can't say that a label design has ever really impacted my purchasing decision. One of my all-time favorite labels is for a beer I virtually never buy (that would be Budweiser... such a classic design) and meanwhile one of the most sought-after beers in the world doesn't have any label at all (and that would be Westvleteren 12, of course).

Actually, I take one thing back. I have purchased one beer solely because of the label, and that would be Lobster Lover's Beer, but there's an inside joke associated with that.

Back